Looking for advice on computer choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, I'm the market for a used computer. I want AI, but can't afford wireless .........That means a console unit, so I guess I'll want QD and a compass on it too.......
Please let me know your thoughts - good or bad .....

So far out of the 60 dive computers we have coded into our Dive Computer Research Tool, 34 are console units...... 23 of those have analog air integration while 11 have digital air integration and we have Online Classes for 17 of them.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

OK, I'm the market for a used computer. I want AI, but can't afford wireless... That means a console unit, so I guess I'll want QD and a compass on it too.

Sherwood Wisdom 2 - Not a lot of these on the used market. it looks like there are a couple different versions out there:
Sherwood CG7125 2008 Wisdom 2 Dive Computer with Compass and Quick Disconnect
Sherwood CG9125 Wisdom 2 Dive Computer with Compass and Quick Disconnect

I own the Wisdom 2 for close to 3-years now. Supposedly there are some minor improvements between the Model #9125 over the Model #7125 (my computer), but I don't know what these improvements are.

I've also owned and used my Wisdom 2 #7125 for about three years. The newer model Wisdom 2 #9125 supports a deep stop in addition to standard safety stop, and has double the memory of the original Wisdom 2. They also changed the computer interface, however, requiring a completely different cable than the earlier models used.

If you buy used, you can tell which model by the button color: grey=original Wisdom; aqua=Wisdom 2 #7125; chrome=Wisdom 2 #9125. The older two models use the same cable, the newer one needs a different unit.

Anyway, I love this computer because it's so easy to use. One button activates it and another button for lighting up the display at night. Big, easy-to-read numbers. Easy to navigate menu. Supposedly even the downloading is easy. I don't download mine, but my buddy with the same computer does and he hadn't complained about the downloading procedure in the two years that he owned it.

I would recommend the Wisdom 2 for all the same reasons. Big display, very easy to read and operate. In fact, I got it because it is very simple and intuitive; I don't want complexity underwater.

I would also add to the list of positives that the battery is common and easily replaced, without the computer losing it's memory or settings. And it's long-lasting, I changed mine after two years, 100+ dives, not because it was getting low but... well, just because!

I have the add-on compass, which is fine. I wish it were digital and integrated, but the analog compass reads easily, settles quickly, and reads from several angles (top and side).

I download regularly. It's sometimes a little testy getting a good connection, but still I'm going on 200 dives with it and only one incompletely downloaded dive. The newer model supposedly fixes those problems, but like I mentioned it requires a completely different cable.

Weaknesses of the Wisdom 2 include the dive log software, which is OK, but can be glitchy. Make sure you download the latest/greatest from Sherwood's site; don't trust whatever comes on the CD.

Finally, something that could be either a pro or a con, depending on your perspective: The Wisdom series definitely uses one of the most aggressive algorithms out there, possibly the most aggressive algorithm. This means diving the Wisdom will often give you longer no-deco times at a given depth than most other computers. But it also means you really shouldn't push those limits on the Wisdoms. Seriously.

Thanx for all the great info everybody. I will consider all of it and wait for the "right one" to show up for sale somewhere.
I've always felt knowledge and patience get you the best deals...

After my bad luck with the Luna and photo stobes my LDS is getting store credit from ScubaPro and they have recomended that I use the Suunto Cobra3. I keep hearing from many sources that these computers are too conservative. I am a big guy but blow more air than I suck so I stay down longer than most. I never had any BT issues with the Aeris or the Luna. Will the Suunto allow similar BT as other models? Any one with any comments?

Will the Suunto allow similar BT as other models? Any one with any comments?

It depends on your diving. If you're doing 2 dives a day you won't have anything to worry about, but if you're doing 3 or more dives a day without doing at least 1 hour SI the computer may not give you as much BT as, lets say an oceanic/aeris computer.

It also depends on how deep your dives are. If I'm doing multiple (3+) deeper (60'+) dives then make sure you take at least an hour long SI after your 2nd and later dives and you should have as much BT as everyone else. I constantly dive with people who don't have suunto computers and that's pretty much the only down side I have experienced.

You will also be penalized on your BT if you have reverse profiles, so plan your deeper dives first.

FYI - the Mares Puck Air is off the list since it is not available with quick disconnect hose. Plus, after reading the manual, the interface is a bit funky.

I have gone the other way, from Suunto to the Luna and I was VERY impressed, I think after the Luna, you will be a little dissapointed with things like the compass, the bottom times and the screen.
But thats what makes us all different.

Suuntos are great computers. You also want to consider the algorithm used by the computer. Suuntos run a modified Buhlmann algorithm which is fairly conservative.
Suunto uses RGBM and not Bühlmann. It is not the full RGBM, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom