Looking For Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CE Stryker

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am scheduled to take a trip to the Grand Cayman Islands early May for a week. I will be aboard the Cayman Aggressor IV and I am very excited. This will be my first dive trip outside of the USA. I am already looking into Sharkskin socks since it's a week of diving. I am going to be traveling with my own gear; Aqua Lung Dimension i3, Legend LX Reg, and SubGear XP-H computer.

I am interested in any advice to share about that might help make my trip that much more enjoyable or even easier.

We will be sight seeing the island Friday and I expect there will be much to see. Is there any places that I should avoid or any places I should be encouraged to visit first?

I've only been to GC once and it was my first dive trip as well so I can't offer too much advice but one of the more memorable things we did while there was snorkeling the barrier reef at Rum Point. If you like snorkeling and have the time, I would take the drive (~45 min from airport) over to Rum Point and do some snorkeling.

Go to the liveaboard section and read the threads on going on a liveaboard trip.
One of the best trips I ever did was the old Nekton liveaboard (I think the Rorqual) in the Caymans.

Loved it!

If I had only one day on GC, I personally would rent a car and tour the island. You could stop at East End, Blowholes, Pedro's Castle, Botanical Gardens, Rum Point and more.

I would not waste my time in Georgetown or Camana Bay unless shopping is a priority.

There are a number of local Jerk Shops and other very casual restaurants for lunch, once you get outside of Georgetown. We kind of like the Jerk Stand in Boddentown ( forget the name ).

The Turtle Farm IMO, is a "Turtle Prison" and should be boycotted.
Hell is no big deal and I would not bother.

The Live Aboard will probably have a stop already scheduled for Stingray City. If not, might be worth consideration for a dive or a snorkel at the Sand Bar.

All depends on what you like to do.

I second the recommendation to rent a car and tour the island. It's a beautiful ride out to the East End and around to Rum Point. The Blowholes are very neat and Rum Point is festive with good food. Starfish point is right next to it which is a fun stop. I, too, boycott the Turtle Farm, and wouldn't spend time on a stop at Hell, either. We did a quick trip to George Town this past trip and I won't spend time doing that on our next visit. I do, however, like Camana Bay but only for the happy hour at Ortanique. The ceviche spoons are one of my favorite meals on vacation in general - not just on vacation on GC.

If you do Stingray City, I recommend the dive. I didn't care for the snorkel. It is too crowded and the rays move around a lot to get to whatever new boat comes in. We did our dive with Dive Tech on our last visit in January and had a great time. One of the rays even followed us when we took off to swim around the area a bit.

If you are on GC on a Friday, if you plan to go to stingray City or Sandbar, go in the afternoon by which time the cruise shippers should be gone. Dexter (Fantasea Tours),
runs a relaxed snorkel trip out to the sandbar most afternoons, leaving from the yacht club. He will also pick up/drop off if required.

All good advice....the jerk stand Doctorfish is referring to is probably Rankins or Chesters both are in BoddenTown area.

Since you are going to be on a Live Aboard and do lots of diving there is a new topside attraction on GC it is a guided tour of the Crystal Caves I have not been on this tour yet but intend to on my next trip.Supposedly it is a very interesting tour you do have to take the tour they do not allow individuals without the tour guide......just a thought.

Cayman Crystal Caves – Spectacular Underground Caves situated in Grand Cayman

Cayman Crystal Caves (Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands): Address, Phone Number, Attraction Reviews - TripAdvisor

You will do stingray city on the liveaboard.

Stock up on any special favorite snacks or beverages. The aggressor will feed you well, but it might be nice to have your own favorite nuts, cookies, coffee, liquor, etc..

Are you prone to seasickness? I am and I got very ill during the deep water crossing between Grand Cayman and the sister islands. I try to eat light on the departure date and I avoid alcohol. I start taking the motion sickness pills at least an hour before boarding.

We try to get everything squared away before we leave port. My husband heads to the dive deck to get our gear ready and stowed and I head to the cabin to unpack our bags. After we get underway I stay up on deck in the fresh air watching the horizon and I try to keep hydrated - if I can tolerate water.

It sounds miserable (and it is!) but it is usually over by the next morning -or mid-day- and then I feel great during the rest of the trip.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom