Looking for an operator that caters to divers, not just tourists who dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aldora - fast boats, impeccable service, 120 cu. ft steel tanks, one of the only ops that will go to the extreme south (Maracaibo), if there is an air hog the DM's will let that diver stay on their hose until someone else reaches 1000 or below.

I've always wanted to know what the difference was between a 'Real' diver & a tourist who dives......please explain. I'd like to know which group I fall in , so I can book with the right op.

Mike

"Tourist who dives" or "underwater tourist" is sometimes used to describe those who require a DM to set up or help set up their gear, cannot seem to monitor their own air pressure, have no concept of what a buddy is, or think the DM is there to keep them safe. They also seem to be incapable of planning a dive on their own or simply choose not to and let some one else make decisions for them; Even on guided dives the individual buddy teams are responsible for having their own dive plan as a back up.

They also often have poor skills, swim inefficiently, and burn through air quite fast. Most of this is due to a couple of factors such as poor or abbreviated training, lack of regualr skill practice, not diving more than once or twice a year, or just plain laziness/don't give rats ass about anything but themselves.

I knew one father who refused to let his son dive with the shop and instructor because the way he dived was good enough for him so it was good enough for his son. He was a train wreck. I really felt sorry for the kid because by the end of his OW class he was frog kicking, in trim, and working hard on breath control for buoyancy while dad sucked at nearly every aspect including keeping track of where his son was. He was too busy with his big camera housing that he was playing with while walking on the bottom.

Underwater tourists are the bane of good divers, reefs, and the whole sport. The only thing they benefit is some ops and instructors wallets.

We were there when El Presedente, (and all the big machine guns) were, and we heard he dove with Dressel.

Although I'd definately give a vote to Aldora for the HM's needs.

"Tourist who dives" or "underwater tourist" is sometimes used to describe those who require a DM to set up or help set up their gear, cannot seem to monitor their own air pressure, have no concept of what a buddy is, or think the DM is there to keep them safe. They also seem to be incapable of planning a dive on their own or simply choose not to and let some one else make decisions for them; Even on guided dives the individual buddy teams are responsible for having their own dive plan as a back up.

They also often have poor skills, swim inefficiently, and burn through air quite fast. Most of this is due to a couple of factors such as poor or abbreviated training, lack of regualr skill practice, not diving more than once or twice a year, or just plain laziness/don't give rats ass about anything but themselves.

I knew one father who refused to let his son dive with the shop and instructor because the way he dived was good enough for him so it was good enough for his son. He was a train wreck. I really felt sorry for the kid because by the end of his OW class he was frog kicking, in trim, and working hard on breath control for buoyancy while dad sucked at nearly every aspect including keeping track of where his son was. He was too busy with his big camera housing that he was playing with while walking on the bottom.

Underwater tourists are the bane of good divers, reefs, and the whole sport. The only thing they benefit is some ops and instructors wallets.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.....guess I would have to classify myself in a 3rd group.....a real diver who's a tourist. Soon I won't have to be a tourist in Cozumel though!

Mike

I'm confused. Tourist divers need a DM to take care of them. The OP wanted an op that would take care of 'real' divers. ???

Seriously, Don hits it. What exactly are you looking for? That would make it a little more relevant. Heck the OP may have different needs than the President of Mexico... OF course that is high praise, "Dive Op to the Chief Executive" You know I bet C puts the whole thing on his expense account as 'reef inspection.'
My personal favorite.... (wait for it, wait for it,) can tell a joke to vactioners, watch out for tourist divers and/or give you a detail briefing on the dive sites. Still she might not suit you. I'll get my pompoms ready once we know what you want.

(See I didn't even do it....

I've always wanted to know what the difference was between a 'Real' diver & a tourist who dives......please explain. I'd like to know which group I fall in , so I can book with the right op.

Mike
Aw, give the guy a break. His one experience with Coz diving was a van trip to PDC, next ferry, a late boat that apparently caters to anyone they can get, back to the ferry and van to Cancun - but he didn't hate it all. He wants to come back and do it right. I can understand why he's edgy and hope he has a great trip with whomever he selects.

Aw, give the guy a break. His one experience with Coz diving was a van trip to PDC, next ferry, a late boat that apparently caters to anyone they can get, back to the ferry and van to Cancun - but he didn't hate it all. He wants to come back and do it right. I can understand why he's edgy and hope he has a great trip with whomever he selects.

Ok, maybe I was being a bit sarcastic too early in the morning.....happens when I haven't had enough coffee. But it did hit a nerve on one of my pet peeves....we were all beginners at one time & ususally those that complain about how they are handled by DM's & Op's are DM's themselves or divers that have many dives that feel they are above it all and are diving with an Op for the first time and don't like that they are being treated just like everyone else on the boat.

Mike

Aldora - fast boats, impeccable service, 120 cu. ft steel tanks, one of the only ops that will go to the extreme south (Maracaibo), if there is an air hog the DM's will let that diver stay on their hose until someone else reaches 1000 or below.

Minor correction here but there are many ops that will take you to the far southern dive sites at no extra charge. If those are important to you then make sure you cover that when you book your dives.

To the OP, I can vouch for both Blue XTSea and Aldora, can't go wrong with either one.

Well, unless you are bringing a paycheck home with you from Coz...we're ALL pretty much "tourist divers" :eyebrow: You're on vacation, making you a tourist, and you are diving while on vacation, making you a tourist diver. :D

Remember, just saying you are an advanced diver, doesn't necessarily make you one in the dive ops' eyes. Any dive op worth it's salt will have you evaluated the first day or so before they will just "let you go", so to speak.

Last edited:
Sharky,
Not Dressel. Here's your proof. The Mexican President dove with Aldora Divers

Another for Aldora. Real divers are happy here according to my 6 years / 20-something weeks of experience with them...
Surely someone here can vouch for my diver-realism...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom