Looking for Dive ops in Aruba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SkipperJohn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My dive club is looking to spend a week in November next year in Aruba. While I've been to the island many times, I am only recently certified and know little of the dive ops there. Also, the hotel where I stay does not have any dive operations near by.
So here is my question, do any of you know of any reputable dive-op in Aruba that meet the following criteria...
1- can accommodate a group of 20 divers (multiple boats acceptable)
2- is within walking distance of a decent (but not too expensive) hotel
3- PADI 5-star preferred

try the search engine here and just put in Aruba....

There aren't many dive ops there... so there are posts on each of them and little has changed over the years..

2- is within walking distance of a decent (but not too expensive) hotel

All the Op's in Aruba include "free pickup" from your hotel. just FYI. But with a large group, I'd make sure to arrange it in advance as they just use mini vans typically.

3- PADI 5-star preferred

why?

I mean the only difference in it being 5 Star is that they paid more money to Padi and agree not to teach another agencies courses. Doesn't make them any better. it's merely a marketing gimmick.

yeah, I know about the PADI thing, but my Di who is heading up this trip is PADI and using his connections to ensure we have a good trip.

Also, he will not want to use a van or bus of any type. So the walking distance thing is a must.

Your requirements are somewhat limited I believe for Aruba. We stay at the Marriott when we are there. Native divers are located on their beach. I believe Red Sail is their also. I have heard Native is great but do not know if he can handle 20 divers. Red sail can but not very good reviews there. However I will not dive with a large amount of divers on a boat. I always Dive with Clive on boat dives on Aruba. 6 max divers. We shore dove more on last visit which I prefer over boat dives. I hope someone else has better info. Good Luck and enjoy your trip.

Pete

Pelican Watersports was bought by Unique Watersports. Find out where their boats were departing from now. (I think from both locations) You might be able to get 20 divers on their boats. Newton Dive Specials

Unique has a pier next to the Radison (quick walk from the Westin) and the old Pelican Pier was at the Holiday Inn and Playa Linda, which is the cheaper of the name brand hotels there.

Thanks all, I'll pass this along to my group

We stayed in 2007 at the Holiday Inn sun spree, It is a 3 min walk to Pelican Pier where we dove with Unique water sports. There Dive boat would pick me up and drop me off at the pier.

I am sure if you can fill there boat they would be willing to pick you up by boat at a local pier if possible.

Skipper John..

check out this map/image on Google Maps... then scroll down the beach.

You can see the piers and the hotel names. all of these are on Palm Beach.

aruba - Google Maps

Starting at the top of this image in the link, You'll see the Marriott. The Marriott is actually several Marriott properties. (time share, hotel, etc). There is a dock there at this location. Native Divers runs from this dock.

Scroll down.. (south).

Just south of the Marriott, you'll see the Holiday Inn. There is a dock just south of it. It's Pelican Watersports. (FYI, Pelican is owned by Unique, which also operates off another dock). Also on this dock is Pelican's nest, which is a good place to get a burger and a beer after a dive. Dinner there is ok, but it's mostly the atmosphere of being on the water and the sunset that makes it worth going to.

scroll on down and skip the next pier at the Hyatt. I don't think it has a dive op at it, unless something has changed in recent years.

The next location is the pier just south of the Radison. This is where Unique Watersports operates out of.

Last time there we stayed at the Westin, just south of that. (it was the Wyndham then). It's very easy to walk between all these resorts as they all share a common sidewalk system right on the edge of their property before you go on the beach. It takes about 15 minutes to walk between the Westin and the Holiday Inn and is a very nice walk. (I wouldn't want to do it hauling dive gear though.).

this makes it easy to get from hotel to hotel as to go to their restaurants, etc. (they welcome you to come into other resorts as they want your $$$). All the resorts all have some type of shopping center in them. Stores, jewelry, clothing, etc.

Pelican let me keep my dive gear in their ondock location locked in their shop since I was diving with them every day. I just took my reg and camera back to my hotel with me as they were the most likely stolen items, just in case. but I had no problems. They also have a security guard on the dock all night there. FYI.

Where to stay?

We liked the Wyndham (now Westin) facility, but the bar really sucked. While we are not big drinkers, it just really sucked that they couldn't make a decent drink. I don't know if they are any better since the Westin took over.

The Radison and Hyatt are VERY NICE. (much better bar also). I'd reccomend these.

There is nothing wrong with the Holiday Inn, but it's a little bit of a step below the other places in quality. but it's much cheaper also. Since it seems to be cheaper, it seems to get swallowed up with families and college kids also. so the beach is more crowded there as compared to the Westin, for example. .

Along that hotel strip are some great restaurants. Amazonia, El Goucho (Venezuelean I think), etc. Plus McDonalds, Dunkin Donuts, etc.

closest grocery store is back towards town.

Several rental car agencies along that strip also. I reccomend renting a car for a day and exploring the island. (or actually rent a jeep and head up to the lighthouse and drive the dirt roads along the north coast. lots of fun).

Hope all that is helpful.

mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom