Looking for Dive Recomendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skinfish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am heading to the Caymans (Grand Cayman), Roatan, Belize (Belize City), and Cozumel in the spring by way of a cruise. I will have one day in each stop and I want to spend the time diving, both reef and wreck. I have never dived on any of these destinations before but have in other Caribbean islands.

I do not want to go with the cruise offering for dive tours if I do not have to. I am looking for info on the best, most reputable dive operators on these particular islands. I am also looking for what are considered the best dives with these destinations. I do not have a lot of time on any of these islands so I want to make the time count by doing the best dives for someone who has not logged a great deal of dives.

I want to do at least two wreck dives and am open to any other suggestions that anyone may have. If there is any good reference sites I should check out or any good books that would be of help, please let me know.

Of course I would like to find operators who avoid the cattle boat approach and who take their customers to destinations other than the most crowded.

Thank you in advance for any and all suggestions.

Doug Pfeifer

Welcome to Scubaboard! Go the top of the page and use the search function. There are many threads on this subject.
Are you cruising Norwegian? We did that cruise itinerary last year. If you have any specific questions post them.

I am cruising the Norwegian Wind for this itinerary. How did you like the cruise? Do you have any knowledge you can pass from your experience of these islands?

I will do the search, thanks for the heads up, but if there is anything you did that you would recommend for this trip, please share the knowledge!

Thanks,
Doug

Okay, here are the top three:
1. Don't do the dive in Bleize;
2. Charter your own boat in Cayman and Cozumel; and
3. Don't miss the Roatan dive at Anthony's Key Resort.
Do your search then let me know if you have any more questions.

Tim,

I did the search and came up with some good leads for dive operators in these ports, thanks for the advice.

One question for you; why not do the dive in Belize? Do you mean the cruise offer or any dive? I heard Ambergris Caye is a great dive. Did you have a bad experience or was the diving no good?

Thanks again,
Doug

I'm actually going on Norwegian this Sat. Would love to hear the answers for this question.

Thanks

I would imagine his well founded objection to cruise ship diving in Belize is due to the fact that the cruise ship docks at the Government pier. This is a considerable distance to the oceanfront of Belize city which is where your dive journey would begin aboard a fast boat to a fairly distant dive site. Many would say that diving in Belize isn't worth it, but then you would have to ask what makes Belize a worthwhile stop for anyone? Well, the crruise ship can buy fuel at a discounted rate- that's one big reason that they stop there!

In terms of Tim's previous response- there are indeed other places besides AKR to dive in Roatan. AKR does offer the "Dolphin Encounter" which some people find interesting. I have advised many Cruise Ship divers to consider CoCoView, and have had no bad reports, only happy divers :wink:. Information on that is available here, on Rodales Diver to Diver (as an archived item), or at the www.cocoviewresort.com website under their disussion group.

Most of this has been well disussed before and is available as an archived feature on any newsgroup or chatroom. Try GOOGLE and click on groups, search with: scuba roatan cruise ship.

Many divers also like the Roatan Shark Dive at Dixon Cove. This can involve some considerable current.

Are you going to Grand Cayman or one of the others. Grand Cayman has a few good dive operators. There is Neptunes Divers . One of the board memebers, caymancase, is one of the owners. You can make arrangements for them to pick you up. There is also Bob Soto's Reef Divers. Never dove with them but they are the biggest and longest operating diver boats. There is also Dive Tech. They have two sites. Dove with them and Neptunes. Both were great.

There are a lot of good dive spots in Grand Cayman. All of the West wall is nice. Main Street, Turtle Reef, Lemon Drop, Lemon Reef, to speak of a few. Turtle Reef, which is at one of Dive Tech's locations is good to do from shore. It's easy access in and out (ladder), and there is no fee. You can rent anything you need right there. If your at Cayman Brac, they have a Russian Battle Ship there, but you can't just go there from GRand Cayman.

Contact these sites and try to set it up before you leave. This will make for a more efficient dive. Also, send a message to caymancase. Tell her what you want to do and she will help you out. She'll advise you well, even if she has to steer you to other charters.

Have a great time.

Bill:)

dear sir,
if i may throw my two cents in:
akr in roatan are very safe and there is a wreck.
dive tech in grande cayman also does the north wall, ask to go to tarpon ally.
i've read here that papa hogs runs a good shop in cozumel, ask to go to planacar reef on a fast 6 pack.
have not gone to belize, yet.
you will have a blast and meet new friends.
regards,
smokey

skinfish once bubbled...
Tim,

I did the search and came up with some good leads for dive operators in these ports, thanks for the advice.

One question for you; why not do the dive in Belize? Do you mean the cruise offer or any dive? I heard Ambergris Caye is a great dive. Did you have a bad experience or was the diving no good?

Thanks again,
Doug

The boat ride was over two hours, the boats were crappy, the dive op was so-so, the water was choppy (at least 1 hour of open ocean to cross) and the diving was average to below average. I am a dive fanatic and I would probably do it again but I love pain (weakness escaping the body). Make you own decision but you have been warned!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom