Looking for first underwater camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kfilly

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey everyone,

I am looking to purchase my first underwater camera and flash assembly. I know that a lot of these cameras and accessories can get pricey fast, and I do not need anything top of the line for my first camera. However, I also do not want to buy total something that is total junk. At the moment, I have about a $1,000 budget. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Kfilly

I was in your shoes a few weeks ago and ended up with JVC FM1 and Ikelite housing and Ikelite Pro V8 LED light ($700 or so for the above and if you add second light you are at $1000 range).

You can see videos at YouTube - iztoku's Channel

I took my G11 with Ikelite case and DS 51 strobe out to Key Largo a few weeks ago. The total package is over your budget of $1000. Of course, if you go with the canon case and a serviceable strobe, you can cobble together a G11 system that is under $1000.

I would suggest that you consider the following:

RAW capability. This is really important. RAW allows you to adjust white balance in post processing. RAW gives you a much better ability to reclaim details from highlights and shadows than JPEGs. RAW also gives you a bit of capability to adjust exposure.

Shutter Lag. In your price range, you are dealing with compact cameras. The lag in my first compact was such that getting shots of fast moving small fish, like butterfly fish and damsel fish, was virtually impossible. It is still a challenge with the G11 but with some luck, it can be done.

Macro. Small critters can make for great photos. Many of them will just sit and pose. So if you can get in close, you can make pretty good shots with a compact.

Wide End. A pretty wide lens will really help. It helps you get in closer to larger objects. The closer you get to anything, the sharper your photos will be.

I am quite pleased with my G11. For a slightly less expensive camera but without quite the macro capability, you might think of the Canon S90.

I want to thank everyone who responded to my initial post. I have a few more ideas as to what to look for now. Iztok, the video on your link was pretty clear. I am guessing that you had twenty to thirty feet of visibility when that was shot. However, I do not know if I necessarily want to go to the video camera setup or not. A22shady, one of the cameras I was looking was the Sealife DC1200. I just have not read or seen too many reviews of it to know whether or not it is a good/reliable camera. PatW, the other camera I was contemplating was the Canon model you mentioned. I know I could buy a cheaper housing/strobe to keep the cost down, and upgrade over time. The only caveat is I do not know which strobes are good or bad. A lot of the reviews are so mixed on this issue as people either love what they bought or hate it. There is almost no middle ground.

I want to thank you all again for being so quick to respond. As a Newbie to this site, it is a great experience to have a question answered so quickly! I will keep all of you posted when I make my decision..

Kfilly

It is a great camera if you look through here there is a few threads about the new sealife DC1200. Selife makes great cameras and there customer service is excellent

Hey everyone,

I once again wanted to thank everyone for the information provided. I opted to purchase a Sealife DC1200 Elite. I figure this will be a decent beginner camera as it is supposed to compensate for water depth/color, etc. I have a little photography experience so I am going to apply my knowledge, and I will try to learn underwater photography through trial and error (hopefully a little help and advice too). I think an easier to use automatic camera will be best for this purpose. I am only taking pictures for my personal enjoyment so I did not need to drop a ton of money into a system. Plus, I did not break the bank with this purchase, and I was able to get an external flash which I know will be needed for water of any significant depth. When I gain a little more experience and have more money to spend, I will most likely upgrade to a higher end system.

Thanks again,

Keith

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom