Looking for Instruct Hampton Va

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doghouse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I live in Hampton Roads, VA.
SWMBO has approved my learning SCUBA.
There are a couple of shops around here that teach, but I am looking for insight from people in the area. What dive shops did you like, instructors you liked / did not like, the usual.

Thanks in advance from a Scuba Noob.

Hey Doghouse Sorry I don't know of anyone in that area. Maybe hang around the dive shop and see how they treat customers etc....Or see if there is a club around that you can attend a meeting and ask questions.
Later...

Hi Doghouse, I do not know of any in Hampton, but 2 in Va. Beach are Dive Quarters http://www.divequarters.com/ or Lynnhaven Dive Center http://www.ldcscuba.com/
I dive with both & enjoy both. I use Dive Quarters for my training. Just felt more comfortable with them. But go to their shoppes & make the decision for yourself.

Welcome to the board, I know a few folks from central VA who are excellant instructors and work with the VA Beach shops/ charters. Send me PM for more info if interested.

Underwater Adventures on Mercury Blvd. in Hampton is the place you want to go. Their instructor is a good guy and the shop is a nice and friendly operation.

I hate to be the one who chimes in here because 90% of those on the board have more dives and will most likely take shots at me but here goes....

Why didn't you just ask do you prefer "boxers or briefs?" It's Pepsi vs Coke.

The initial training boils down to who you like the most, feel more comfortable with and want to train with. Scuba training and sales is a very competitive industry, similar to flight instruction and sky diving. Actually, ask any group on a boat and you will find folks who do all 3 (not at once of course). Its really all about safety.

Do your own homework and don't make a decision based too much on someone elses advise and experiences because you are going to get mostly subjective opinion.

Visit the shops that are within the driving distance you accept and are willing to travel. Take a look at their facilities and meet and talk to their people both sales and instructors. Go by and watch a class in session. Do they teach day or night, what fits your schedule? Check out their boats if you can.

Although I am a low dive time diver, I have done business with every shop in the area for very specific reasons (inventory, knowledge, air/EAN, or just plain good 'ole folks, technical repair, and oh yeah, trust!, etc). Once you get certified, you will then begin learning to dive and developing you skills so that you determine where you limits are. Then once you buy your gear, you are going to want to establish a relationship with a shop and ultimately a person at that shop who you trust your life with. Thats the seriousness of this sport. Once mistake at 130 fsw and its bye bye.

Take the time to investigate. Their training facilities are all different in location, size and depth. Many offer swimming lessons too which makes the shop busy certain times of the day with children's classes. The Grimsley's offer a snorkle class which is very unique.

Talk to their people. Determine if you like the shop; if you like the sales people, the instructors. They all follow the same protocol for training, either SSI or PADI, specific class time and number of entry dive requirements but they all don't sale the same gear. Some are more tech oriented and others warm blue water oriented.

Your options in HR are: Grimsley's in Suffolk, Dive Quarters in VA Beach, Lynnhaven Dive Center in VA Beach and Underwater Adventures in Hampton.

I'll get off my soap box now.

Good Luck in your search. Get certified at a shop you like then find a good dive buddy like I did and go learn more but remember teaching safety is probably the number one element in scuba, my 6 year old daughter can suck off my octo in the shallow end of my pool, but I cannot teach her the necessary safety and backup planning at that age.

Oh, next comes choosing dive boat operators! I have opinions there too.

No shots Larry your advise is sound. I did not know of the other 2 shops otherwise I would have included them in my post.
Who do you boat dive with? Typically I dive with whoever has space on boat out of Va. Beach.
I also do not get into my shop is better than your shop BS. Having several shops within several miles of each other just helps us divers. They will keep each other honest price wise & do not tend to stock the same lines of equipment giving us a better choice.

RAD Diver,

I'm a strang one. I started diving deep, 126 fsw on the Proteus from day one. I have a dive Buddy second to none. My approach is simple, carry what I need and then more. My dive buddy and I started diving out of Hatteras with Johnny and then we were invited to dive the U-701 by Doug Nelson on the Under Pressure with JT Barker. I'll go on record to say each runs a top notch outfit.

I then ran into the need to have my Advanced OW for anything over 90 fsw. I;ll save that ***** session for shop owners..........but I understand.

Big Bill Grimsley helped me obtain my AOW cert and is one heck of a guy, 5 minutes from my house and let me tell you, an honest operator. Oh, yeah I embarrassed myself at his lake on my navigation training dive and gave up but went to Rawlings to seal the deal.......Bill has achieved perfect negative bouyancy.........trust me.

I've dove local VA Beach dives ie the Morgan and others but I hate the cold water and will travel to Hatteras for the Proteus anytime given the circumstances.

I have more hours in my pool than you can count. I was shown by the guys at Underwater Adventures the importane of unusual attitudes, ie standing on your head while removing your gear and the use of redundancey. I try to only use boats that allow me to run scooters, gear lines, and nitrox. Between JT and Johnny in NC, I'm well cared for re boats and Big Bill tweeks my regs for me and does my tanks as well as makes me humble every so often. My gas comes from Joe at Dive Quarters because of the accuracy they place on the fills and the cost of a fill cardI stay in touch with Lynnhaven re local dives and their stock of Dive Rite gear. I bought 26 pairs of fins from Wreck Masters going out of business sale (not sure why yet).

I agree with you on the "my shop is better than your shop" BS. No time for that crap. Its all about professionalism and meeting my individual needs. I'm at Rawlings to qualify the gear prior to heading South.......and for additional training under controlled environment.

I could go on.

I hope this helps doghouse....................???

Lar

Try Deep Dream Diving, very good shop and very good prices. They offer a large number of classes with highly qualified and competent instructors. They have everything from AOW to Tech training as well as Rebreathere (inspiration).

contact the owner at frank@deepdreamdiving.com or at the shop @ 757-713-0186
good luck.

Back
Top Bottom