Looking for Olympus PT-010 Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So you mean to say that I am gonna hate the results of my old Olympus 2000z in the pt 010 housing? I will HAVE to go and get a new camera??

Originally posted by Seb
So you mean to say that I am gonna hate the results of my old Olympus 2000z in the pt 010 housing? I will HAVE to go and get a new camera??

No Seb, that's not what we're saying at all. I've seen some very good pics taken with the 2000. But the cameras with more pixels give you a higher resolution which means better prints, more fine detail.

Since achu is buying her first digital, we advised her to get the best she can. The prices of the 4meg cameras have come down close to the price of the lower resolution cameras.

It's all in the results you expect. Sub and I like very sharp, very crisp enlargements...up to 16 x 20 or larger. We can get that with our cameras whereas we couldn't with a lower res camera.

Well thanks Dee, I will probably upgrade the camera at some point, part of the reason I went for the PT 010 as it handles a variety of Olympus models. I've had the 2000z since it came out, I've been happy with it, and it seeemed a good start into UW photo with the low housing price.
Now I ought to think about a macro lens and a strobe I suppose, I already got the color correction filter.

Well, I have read each posting about digital u/w photos and couldn't stand it anymore. I ordered a Olympus C-4040, 128 MB SmartMedia Card, Reader, and Underwater Digital's Package 2. The only problem is Allen's backorder on the 90-DX strobe. He says 2-3 weeks maybe. Submariner, I guess I need to ask what is the extra strobe issue? Is there a problem I should be aware of? This is my first digital camera. Now shooting a MM EXII with YS 60 strobe. Looking forward to no more film and the digital ability to shoot more than 36 exposures u/w. Hope everything gets here before our trip to Cozumel May 18. Will keep you posted.

Burt....I went from the MMII and dual strobes to the Olympus set-up and do not regret it! Your biggest adjustment is going to be getting used to taking 75+ pictures on every dive, depending on your compression. I used HQ with great results. I had my camera on 18 of the dives and shot right at 700 pictures! The only prep for the next days diving was to recharge a couple sets of batteries and check the camera and strobe battery compartment o-rings. I took my laptop and downloaded the two 128mg cards I had used during the day into it. A breeze compared to the old film camera.

The thing about double strobes isn't a problem, it's a joke between us. Her husband originally liked the idea of scaling down and the small size of the whole digital package. But after his first dive trip with it, he's already trying to talk Submariner into a second strobe. My bet is on Pearce! :wink:

You'll love the YS-90DX. Allen is good about meeting deadlines if at all possible so hang in there with him.

So all your shots are in HQ Dee? Wouldne't you get a better quality image in SHQ?? I usually shoot SHQ topside for all my snaps.
Now this strobe thing, should I seriously consider getting one?

Originally posted by Seb
So all your shots are in HQ Dee? Wouldne't you get a better quality image in SHQ?? I usually shoot SHQ topside for all my snaps.
Now this strobe thing, should I seriously consider getting one?

I'm still learning the ins and outs of digital compression. When I compared HQ and SHQ stats on the camera menu, they were the same pixel size but I could get more pics per card using HQ. I did shoot a few in SHQ for a comparison and I can't tell the difference. Since the largest print I'll get from any of these first pics will be maybe 8x10, I doubt it will make any difference at all.

I'm not into splitting infinite theoretical hairs. For 8x10's and 11x14's, HQ's 31in. x 23in. will work just fine!

Yes, you should seriously consider a strobe if you can afford one. While the C-4040 does an excellent job in low light conditions, there's no comparison to having a good strobe. Just think of it as taking the sun down there with ya!

The thing about double strobes isn't a problem, it's a joke between us. Her husband originally liked the idea of scaling down and the small size of the whole digital package. But after his first dive trip with it, he's already trying to talk Submariner into a second strobe. My bet is on Pearce!

Dee, I've already resigned myself to the extra strobe; it's no longer a matter of "if" but "when". He has been burning up the telephone lines talking to Ikelite! :wink:

Burt, like Dee we were shooting MMIIs with dual strobes (the YS 300 and YS 60). Dual strobes are great because not only do they light your subject well, but the 2nd strobe "fills in" all the dead or dark areas. Really gives you an incredible "three dimensional" look to your pictures.

Coming from that background, I guess we were a little disappointed in what we thought was a under-performance with a single strobe on the new digital setup (new Ikelite 125). Good... but not Great.

Hence the "dual strobes in our future" remark.

Wonder if we'll get it before we go to Bonaire next month?
:confused:

~SubMariner~

So where is the best place to get the Olympus C-4040? B&H? I got their best price e-mail and it was $699.

Tina,

You might want to check out Cameta Camera. I belive they are in Long Island New York. I've been following some of their eBay listing on digicams and I've seen closing price for the C4040Z @ $620.00-630.00.

Hope this helps.

Allan
http://www.underwaterdigital.net

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom