Looking for Partner La Jolla

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

korvette

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am coming to San Diego Sunday (9/12) and looking to dive on Monday or Tuesday at the La Jolla shores or the cove. My schedule is open.

I am staying at the Bahia so would need to get rental gear somewhere (looking for suggestions) and also some direction on getting there. I understand parking is not the easiest.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

I've stayed near the Bahia (it's on Mission Bay right?) so just head west a block or two to Mission Blvd - can't miss it. Go north on Mission Blvd till it splits to the left into LaJolla Blvd. Stay on that right into LaJolla. Ballpark guess I'd say it's 4 miles. In LaJolla - LaJolla Blvd. sort of ends at the water - just before it does it becomes Prospect to the right. Get on Prospect and take it to Coast (Google maps puts it at 1500')

At Coast go left down the hill - the Cove is at the end of the street by the turn-around. Take any parking place near there that you can find. Get there early if you can. Watch for the Red Curbs - IIRC it's a pretty hefty ticket. (I know...)

If you can't find parking, go back up Coast to Prospect (it will be one way to the right (south) there) As soon as you can double back on Coast (should now be going north) In "downtown" about a block from the Coast turnoff there's a parking garage (1202 Prospect) that's often open. It's on your left. From there there's a public access walkway back down to the cove - it lets out just across the street. Or just walk a block back to Coast and down the hill.

If you're diving with someone I'd suggest meeting elsewhere and taking one car. Drop your gear on the grass at Scripps Park - right next to the Cove while one of you goes to find parking. Just for reference, there's about 3 dozen parking spaces in that area total.

You might try OEX in LaJolla OEX | Scuba Diving We've rented tanks there but I think they also rent everything else. It's about 1/2 mile north of the Cove. By the Spindrift GC. Look it up on Google Maps, it's a little hard to navigate in that area off Torrey Pines Blvd.

Last edited:
My son and I dove the Cove last Monday and it was a great experience. We were there by 9:30 and got a parking place close to the steps. We rented tanks and weight at Sports Chalet. It is a three day rental and the rates were very reasonable. Check out the San Diego Dives? thread from last week. We received some very valuable information from fellow divers. Good luck and have a great time!

Here's a link to the San Diego Dives? thread that schu1842 was talking about. I already posted a great deal of info in that other thread.

Sport Chalet in the UTC Mall has the cheapest rentals since you pay for one-day, but you get to keep the stuff for longer than 24 hrs.
I think the Bahia Resort is located closer to the Sport Chalet in Point Loma. I'm sure they offer similar rental deals.

You'll be staying super-close to where the Marissa, Lois Ann, and Humboldt dive boats are. Very convenient to get in some Point Loma kelp dives.

A group of us meet every Tuesday at 6pm at the end of Vallecitos street and do an evening shores dive. You are welcome to join us but if you need a buddy then you need to bring one.

Thanks to all for the notes and suggestions.

A group of us meet every Tuesday at 6pm at the end of Vallecitos street and do an evening shores dive. You are welcome to join us but if you need a buddy then you need to bring one.

Michael, thanks for the offer but yes I would need a buddy.

Back
Top Bottom