Looking for recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

landonnin1

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello everyone,
I am heading to Maldives on November 14th through the 30th. I am wanting to do some diving and Island hopping. Could anyone recommend where I should start?
Thinking of a few night in an over the water bungalow, was thinking about a live aboard for a few days. I really would to check out the culture a bit also. Looking for as much info as someone may share
I am an scuba instructor with 1500 dives and my girl friend is newly certified.
Thank you in advance
Matt

Matt

Thats a very broad question! I'll have a go at some (hopefully helpful) basics.

Firstly, island hopping doesnt really work in the Maldives as there is virtually no inter island transport. Male (the capital) acts like a hub. For almost all inter island transfers you would need to travel via Male. This would waste the best part of a day each time.

Secondly, almost all liveaboards are a minimum of 7 days.

Putting these things together, I suggest a weeks lob plus a week in a resort.

Re liveaboards, there's a wide choice, but Carpe Vita Explorer is a very good option.

I always struggle choosing a Maldivian resort. They all look similarly wonderful at first sight. In fact there are quite large difference. eg
1 or more restaurants; house reef or not; pool or not; number of rooms; spa or not etc etc.

For me the most important is to have a good house reef. After that, its just a matter of how many $$$$s you feel like spending. We've found that the best dive centres tend to be in the 4* resorts rather than the 5* ones.

Until recently, islands were split into being designated either 'resort' or 'for Maldivian residents'. With no cross over. In the last year or so, a small number of the residents' island have opened guest houses with diving. Apologies, i've no experience of these - I've only visited resorts.

I hope some of this info is helpful to you.

Cheers

John

John,
Thank you for your reply. It is helpful and I did read that island hopping there was not the best idea after i posted last night.
Can you recommend what island would be a good choice to start with? Or can anyone. So i will try to narrow it down: looking for recommendations of what island offers good diving for a beginner.
Thank you again John
Matt

Matt

Its 3 years since I last did a resort trip - recent visits have been for lobs. So my info will be a little out of date.

The best dive centres I've experienced in the Maldives have been those run by Werner Lau. Diving and Holiday Maldives. Though last time I went to Filitheyo, the resort itself was getting a bit tired.

If I was planning a trip now, i would look at returning to Komandoo Maldives Resort - A Romantic Adults Only Maldives Resort. A good dive centre for beginners & more experienced divers.

Best

John

Island hopping is possible if you stay in local islands as they are linked by public ferries.
Please see this ferry map:
20170320_0a3618a8e198a55a1deeHUUhQl8dQZBX.jpg

You can go from Male to Gulhi, Maafushi, Guraidhoo, and Fulidhoo.

This article recommends four loalc islands: Maafushi, Gulhi, Fulidhoo, Guraidhoo.

Maldives on a budget: Part 1 - The Basics - seefoodplay.com

I also has a post talking about local island Maafushi and others:
Just dived & stayed in Maafushi again

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom