Looking For Snow over Christmas (Trade)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would go to Utah.
Park City would be my first choice but there are a number of ski resorts very close to Salt Lake City.
It would be best to stay at one of the resorts but it is possible to commute from SLC daily. I even went skiing one morning before work.
Utah is not as pricy as some of the resorts and a bargain can be found.
Ski Utah: The Official Source for Information on the Greatest Snow on Earth has some good deals.
Warning remember to factor in the cost of equipment and CLOTHES. Coming from Florida I doubt if your wardrobe is suitable for a day on the slopes.

I wish you luck in your search and I hope you all have great fun in the snow.

Becky you are one sick puppy LOL, so far the snow has held off here in Iowa we did not get hammered till almost the end of Dec. last year??? Of course it had to happen during our surface ice rescue and ice diving cert. last year that was a great (COLD) time...

Have large Deer and plenty of wildlife to see in Iowa and there are places to go Like Lake Okoboji that have annual snow festivals and such, cost fairly reasonable here in the midwest but, Colorado may be you best bet? All depends if want to go skiing Iowa has some small resorts but, plenty of sledding, Colorado would have larger resorts....

Have fun and enjoy the cold cause wet or dry if there is snow it is cold. Personally I cannot wait to get back to the Keys.....

I finally got to bed around 5am this morning to be woke up at 6am to Denis my son saying TYLER come look at all these places moms friends found for us to go see snow:rofl3: So I crawl out of bed to find Tlyer with a tooth brush in his mouth hanging over my computer and well you picture it:shakehead: my key board has a fresh mint smell now:11: and no cavities.:rofl3: It's not Christmas yet but in my house you would think it was only a few days away. I can't believe a trip to see snow would get them so excited.
I am still searching trying to find the most for my $.
Here is the BIG question my kids if you have never met them are VERY small (thin) and never been in cold weather (ever) so their blood is very thin. What do I need to buy them so they don't freeze within a few min. outside. I know coats, gloves,hat. but what is the warmest that I can buy to keep them safe from frost bite. Also do I have to buy them or can I rent these things?
Becky

Around this area and up north of me in Michigan many people wear snowmobile suits when working & playing during the winter, but any clothing combined in layers should work. It really depends on just how cold it will be where you are going. Big difference between just below freezing and severe cold like -20 F. The humidity will effect how cold you feel also. It might pay to buy what you need when you get to where you will be staying and know the weather for the week.

Just as with wetsuits, I have different types of cold weather gear depending on how cold it really is. Temps in the 30's with sun and no wind vs below zero with 30+ mph winds can really make a difference in the type of protection you need. Wind chill is a big thing to be aware of, so you want to have some type of protection that will get you through that.

As far as rental goes, most of the snowmobile tour places do rental of snowsuits, but beyond that it gets tough. I like to stick to outlet malls at the end of season or pre-season sales to get most of my clothing. And I use a layer of under armor for underneath. Just as I did when I have been diving in a dry suit.

georoc01 How close to the airport are you? Also where you live is the town small or is it like a big city type setting. I NEVER travel because I get lost really easy, and I am to trusting in people so they say and I am always afraid somebody will get me. Not that they would keep me when they get me.LOL

Remember that you can drive into Canada without a passport but will need them to fly. Just a though in case you do not all have them.

Thanks for the heads up, We don't have passports so I guess Canada would be out. I would never be able to get them before the time to leave in Dec. And to drive it would be way out of the question because it would take days and days to get there.
Becky

The best thing for cold is layering. Start with a good wicking base. Add layers of sweaters, down jackets, etc, as is needed. Finish with a nice windproof shell. Snowy west coast locations tend to be less brutal than east coast. The east coast tends to be the home of wind and ice. Fluffy white snow with sunny weather can be found out west.

Careful if you choose anywhere on the east coast, as having snow around X-Mas is no guarantee. If you want to take no chances, then you probably need to head into the mountains anywhere out west (Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Montana, NCal).

Thanks I'm finding that out as I call these places, some are telling me that they cannot promise snow for Christmas but if I come in Jan or Feb that they are for sure to have snow. But it's the flights I'm having a problem with I don't know where the nearest airport is to most of these places so I just take an educated guess in hopes I am close. To find out it's going to cost $954 round trip:11: thank god kids fly free.

Back
Top Bottom