Looking For Travel Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ninelinegoby

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can anyone give me some good suggestions for travel fins? I'm looking for something relatively light weight, preferably short enough to fit in a carry on. Warm water shore diving, with thick sole boots.

The Oceanic Accel fins (previously Aeris) are excellent fins both for home and travel. They're short at only 21 inches and weigh only 1.4 pounds. They have easy-on rubber straps and can be donned in seconds. The fins are made from a tough and sturdy rubbery material and have excellent performance in the water with any kicking style. Their maneuverability and weightlessness come in handy when teaching courses and for traveling, without sacrificing any performance. I'd recommend these, especially if you intend to travel with them.

+1 for Accels, however, if you plan on diving in currents you might want to consider a larger blade. E.g. Cressi ARAs are pretty light -- but too long for "standard" carry-on.

I had a pair of Accel fins, and sold them after one dive; the foot pocket just did not fit my foot. They were the size "S-M" which should have fit my 8.5 (US) foot perfectly, but my foot rattled around in the pocket. The guy who bought them has a bigger foot and loves them. A lady friend bought the XS size, and loves them; her foot is only slightly smaller than mine. My wife may get a set. You just cannot beat the length and weight, and the blade stiffness is pretty good. But they have to fit your foot. I'll try the XS size if I get a chance. Suggestion: buy them from a shop or site that will let you exchange them if they don't work for you.

Can anyone give me some good suggestions for travel fins? I'm looking for something relatively light weight, preferably short enough to fit in a carry on. Warm water shore diving, with thick sole boots.

I use Hollis F2 for Bonaire trips. They are short and could pack in a carry-on. If you are accustomed to a stiff paddle fin when you're not traveling, the F2 will feel much like that except, well, shorter. The foot pocket is almost disproportionately spacious for the size of the fin, so you won't have any problem fitting those thick soled boots.

I would not use the F2 for dives with substantial current, though.

Bonaire is where I'll be using them most. Thanks

Atomic is due to release a new fin-the Bladefin X1 which is supposed to be shorter than the the original Bladefin (25-26 inches). Should come in at under 2 lbs, but just guessing at this point. There are many Atomic retailers-you should be able to try them on for fit. Eventually.

Another one for Aeris/Oceanic Accels. They're light, fit in your carry on (if necessary), and cheap. It's not uncommon for me to use them on regular dives, and not just "on vacation".

Any recommendations for full foot pocket travel/small fins? I need to get some shorter fins, I did some shore diving this weekend in shallow water (5-15') and my free diving fins were a nightmare. I'm not a fan of open heel fins.

Accels or F2's, I have both.......short, light, kick great. Agree that Accels have a large foot pocket but I wear a thick soled boots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom