Looking For Travel Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i bought a pair of hollis f2 and used the fins on 1 trip to curacao, i liked the weight and size for travel, did not like the fins at all for diving. I went back to my scubapro jet fins. The extra weight on the plane is worth it to me. I cut back other weight on my gear, but not my fins.

Bonaire is where I'll be using them most. Thanks

I've narrow feet, my Accels are 1 size down with a regular bootie -- not a sock, nor a hard-sole boot -- but with the ortho insert inside. I find this works well for the fit and also for shore entries on Bonaire.

Buy from someplace with good return policy because the best fins are the ones that fit. Make sure you'll get a full refund if they don't and factor in the cost of return shipping if buying online.

I'll echo what has been mentioned previously, I too don't understand the disproportionate foot pocket size on both the Accel and F2, in XS and Small, the foots pockets are huge which is strange given a) one would assume someone looking into XS sized fins has small feet and b) both are tauted as travel fins so one would assume general purpose warm water with thin boots. I've owned both and sold both. I could never get a good fit out of the F2s regardless of boot type, I even changed out the spring and tried other lengths. I managed to get a "reasonable" fit out of the Accels using Mares bungee straps but still wasn't great.

I found both of them wanting in moderate current and woeful in a reasonable current. If you have narrow feet or wear light boots you might run into fitting issues, goes without saying try before you buy.

The Mares Avanit Quattro + are almost the same weight as the F2s but IMO a much better fin, of course their legnth may make packing in a carry on difficult. I recently bought some Apeks RK3 fins, small and surprisingly light, comfortable and relatively powerful given their small blade surface, they are my new favorite travel fin.

Last edited:
I recently bought some Apeks RK3 fins, small and surprisingly light, comfortable and relatively powerful given their small blade surface, they are my new favorite travel fin.

Would you mind comparing the power of the RK3 vs the Mares avanti quattro? Cheers

I also have the F2's and have used them in Bonaire and like them very much. I'll be bringing them with me to Hawaii in two weeks and will get the chance to check them out in heavier current. They are very lightweight and easy to pack because of the reduced length.

I just bought a pair of the new SEAC F1 S fins after seeing them at a dive show. I haven't had a chance to use them yet, but they are INCREDIBLY lightweight. Reasonably priced too.

Worth looking into.

Another vote of Accel. Great fins and easy to travel with. Light and good power. Can be a bit stiff but negligible.

What other folks have mentioned are great gears as well. Most importantly, find a LDS and try them on yourself to see if the foot pocket is a comfortable fit for your not.

Aqua Lung's Hot Shots were designed for travel. But primarily for boat dives. Their foot pocket is very soft and designed for a naked foot. So if you wanted something for shore diving with a booty this might not be the best choice.

Like masks, fit tops most other factors. I've used the Hollis F2 on several trips where you change aircraft, sometimes from a big plane to a smaller one, so I carry on essentials, and that includes fins, especially because my size is often unavailable to rent at some locations.

Friends sometimes comment that with my 13EE shoe size I don't really need fins, but that's a cheap shot. The Hollis large fits me beautifully with 3mm semi-hard sole booties and, while it does not have the thrust of longer fins, it does perform better than equally short fins I've tried. They are well designed.

I do a lot of shore dives and snorkeling, so the harder sole booties are necessary.

Back
Top Bottom