Looking to get BP/W Set-up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ligersandtions

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Tobin,

I'm a new diver looking to get into a bp/w set-up. Right now I'm diving with a Ladyhawk BCD, and although I don't have any problems with it, I would like to get into a something with a little more "growing" room (in terms of going toward technical diving). I've heard nothing but good things about DSS (and you) and being local to you, I'm definitely looking for one of your bp/w's.

But I'm a little slow when it comes to figuring this stuff out, so I figured I'd have you help me out so I get it right the first time :D

Here's the info I think you'll need (let me know if you need anything additional):

I dive mainly socal in a 7mm wetsuit, with a 3/5mm hooded vest
Scubapro Ladyhawk BCD
16-18 pounds of weight (possibly a bit overweighted but I seem to have weird descending issues....although I can hold a three minute safety stop)
I'm between 5'2" and 5'3" and weigh 120 pounds

I assume I would probably need the small backplate as the medium fits people up to 6'0" tall. I don't know if it would be possible to get a set-up that would work for the few tropical trips I'll be taking, but still work for my normal socal diving. So I was wondering what you would recommend. If it would be easier for me to come in, I'm more than willing to do that as well.

Oh yeah, one more question about weighting....do people ever have problems with trim (such as being bottom heavy), and if so, what do they do? I'm normally a bit top heavy, so it probably won't be an issue, but with the BC, I can have weights at my hips as well as weights at my shoulders in the trim pockets. When there aren't trim pockets, how do you adjust trim if you happen to be bottom heavy naturally?

Anyways, thanks for your help, and I look forward to working with and meeting you! :D

Nicole

Here's the info I think you'll need (let me know if you need anything additional):

I dive mainly socal in a 7mm wetsuit, with a 3/5mm hooded vest
Scubapro Ladyhawk BCD
16-18 pounds of weight (possibly a bit overweighted but I seem to have weird descending issues....although I can hold a three minute safety stop)
I'm between 5'2" and 5'3" and weigh 120 pounds

Nicole,

Your tank is part of your weighting. What are you using for a cylinder when you are carrying 16-18 lbs?

Tobin

Nicole,
You won't go wrong dealing with Tobin.

Nicole,

If you are using 18 lbs of lead you have about 20 lbs of total ballast, 18 lead and about 2 lbs of regulator.

A al 80 @500 psi is about +3 lbs and your current BC is likely 2-3 lbs positive with no gas in the bladder due to foam pads etc.

20 lbs total ballast - 3 (for the tank) and -3 (for the current BC) leaves about 14 lbs of ballast to sink your 7mm wetsuit and hooded vest.

That's on the low side, but possible. If these numbers are accurate I doubt you are over weighted by much.

At ~5'2" You can use the small plate. A small SS plate and Harness is about -5 lbs negative. A full al 80 is about -2 and your reg is about -2. Your rig will be about -9lbs with a full tank and about -4 with 500 psi.

You need about 14 lbs to offset your suit. 14 -4 leaves about 10 lbs in a weight belt.

If you choose to use our bolt on weight plates, 6.4 lbs for the small plate you would need about 4 lbs in belt, and your rig would be about -15 with a full al 80.

I'd recommend our LCD 20 for a wing. That's enough lift to be able to float your rig, even with the weight plates, and it's enough to compensate for the maximum possible compression of your wetsuit.

If you tend to be heads down I'd start with the small plate, LCD 20 wing and Hogarthian harness.

Determine your ideal weighting and play a bit with your trim. You may trim fine with a weight belt. If you are heads up you may want to add the weight plates and reduce the ballast on your belt.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Tobin

I think the small SS plate, harness, and LCD 20 sounds like a pretty good option. I think I'd be slightly hesitant to dive with only four pounds of ditchable weight (or would this be enough?).

On average, how long would you say it takes a competent diver to get used to the new set-up? I'm in the process of selling my BCD, but I'm taking my AOW course over the next two weekends. I don't think I'd be able to get everything before this weekend, but I could be able to get it by next weekend....would a couple dives be adequate to get used to the set-up? Or maybe I should wait to actually dive with it until after I finish the class...

Thanks for your help!

Nicole

Nicole, Learning to adapt to a BP/W is no problem. One or two dives to gain the practice on how to remove air from the wing, (you should be horizontal) is the first hurdle. Adjusting it (and you) for good trim is the second. A good buddy/mentor helps in this as well.
BTW, Darryl dives Tobins stuff so he should be able to help you out.

I think the small SS plate, harness, and LCD 20 sounds like a pretty good option. I think I'd be slightly hesitant to dive with only four pounds of ditchable weight (or would this be enough?).

4 lbs of ditchable is enough to establish positive buoyancy at the surface, assuming you are properly weighted to begin with.

It's not enough if you are overweighted.

On average, how long would you say it takes a competent diver to get used to the new set-up? I'm in the process of selling my BCD, but I'm taking my AOW course over the next two weekends. I don't think I'd be able to get everything before this weekend, but I could be able to get it by next weekend....would a couple dives be adequate to get used to the set-up? Or maybe I should wait to actually dive with it until after I finish the class...

It usually takes a couple dives to get the harness dialed in, and a couple more to get the drings positioned where they are "natural" to use.

You need to do a careful weight check too. You may want to wait until after your AOW water class.

I don't want to make it sound like a big deal, because it's really not. A BP&W, in most cases is easier to use, and actually helps to promote horizontal trim etc. than many BC's, but any new gear right before a class can be problematic.

Tobin

Nicole, Learning to adapt to a BP/W is no problem. One or two dives to gain the practice on how to remove air from the wing, (you should be horizontal) is the first hurdle. Adjusting it (and you) for good trim is the second. A good buddy/mentor helps in this as well.
BTW, Darryl dives Tobins stuff so he should be able to help you out.

Good to know....I'll be going out with him this Saturday so I'll probably talk to him about it. I'm sure it won't be a huge transition considering I'm just now starting to get my buoyancy down (obviously not perfected, but starting to understand and get the feeling! :D).

It usually takes a couple dives to get the harness dialed in, and a couple more to get the drings positioned where they are "natural" to use.

You need to do a careful weight check too. You may want to wait until after your AOW water class.

I don't want to make it sound like a big deal, because it's really not. A BP&W, in most cases is easier to use, and actually helps to promote horizontal trim etc. than many BC's, but any new gear right before a class can be problematic.

Tobin

That's kind of what I was thinking as well. In addition to learning new stuff in an AOW class, I think throwing the bp/w and having to figure out the weighting and everything, I might end up just overloading myself and not getting as much out of it as I should. I'll be nice to get used to it without any looming deadline hanging over my head.

I'll probably come in next Friday (day off!) to try the backplate on (you do stock the smalls, right?) and get all that I need. Can't wait!

Nicole

I'll probably come in next Friday (day off!) to try the backplate on (you do stock the smalls, right?) and get all that I need. Can't wait!

One of the best things (okay, one of the MANY best things) about DSS is that Tobin makes almost everything in house. Stocking is not an issue. Just be prepared to take your diving enjoyment to a level you never dreamed possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom