Los Angeles Dive Ops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ariel

Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a dive shop to get certified with in L.A. (C.A. that is)? I'm looking for one for my husband. I haven't been diving out of this city since...the 80s.:confused:

thanks
Ariel

Ariel,

There are many to choose from. It depends on where you are and how far you want to travel.

If you are in the Pasadena/Arcadia area I recommend Dolphin Dive Center on Duarte. Tony and Dave are the main instructors and they are very good.

I have heard good things about Reefseekers in Bev Hills and I believe Pacific Wilderness in the southbay area is also reputable.

I am sure some of the others will chide in with their own personal experiences.

I'm sure that if you go to one of the numerous Sport Chalet stores in Southern Cal., they could provide a listing of instructors/agencies in your area that you could check out. I don't live in the L.A. area, but I too have heard of the Dolphin Dive Center and Pacific Wilderness.

I dove with Pacific Wilderness in San Pedro - nice shop, nice folks. Worth checking out.

Thanks SoCalDiver, JustAddWater & Juls

I have been submerged for awhile since I first posted and am finally coming up for air. We live near ReefSeekers and the Sport Chalet on La Cienega and looked knee-deep into their programs while hoping to get advice on others. Since then, we've taken your advice and looked into Pacific Wilderness. I really liked the dive master we met - Carlos - and the feel of their shop and what they were offering. We're going to look into where Sport Chalet holds their pool sessions/lugging gear and weigh that against how far Pacific Wilderness is from us (pretty far in rush hour).

thanks again - Ariel

I have taken several classes there and would definitely recommend them.

Unless you know the instructor, I would not gert certified at Sport Chalet on La Cienega.

Reefseekers would be my choice

PW, IMO, has too much of an "attitude" for me, but never cert'd with them, so can't say

Do yourself a favor and don't get cert'd with PW. Unless you don't mind that your instruction staff is distracted by their own 4 year old children playing in the pool while you "try" to learn. Then if you have trouble with a certain skill they'll send you home as to not hold back the rest of the class, ask you to come back during another pool session, and charge you $75 everytime you do so.

If you choose to go to Pacific Wilderness (which I hope you don't) make sure you get a trainer who will take on the responsibilities of a "TRAINER".

The shop in San Pedro is in a very bad part of the city. True, they are very friendly, but they sold me a mask that clearly doesn't fit me correct. I went in, they made me try it on and said, "Yup, it fits" but little did I know at that time, it didn't. My top lip was pretty much covered.

The one in Orange is located in a better area, but the trainers there aren't helpful at all. If you struggle, they will make you re-take the confined water test with another class (whom you've never seen before so that'll make you nervous) and toss on a fee on top of that.

I'm talking about my personal experience there. I had the honor of transfering my paperwork (quizes, exams) to another trainer and completed the course without a problem.

I went diving with the Reef Seekers guys last night. I have been doing business with them for several years now. The instructor who led the dive was completely responsible & aware, even going so far as to make sure I was safe while rinsing off my fins in the surf afterwards. These guys have a good rep for a reason.

I also believe deeply in the Glendale Y program (Sunday mornings). The facilities are great, the instructor makes sure that everyone gets individual attention, and has received an award from the County of Los Angeles for being the safest dive instructor of 2000.

If you chose either of these, you can't go wrong. Good luck & let us know what happens!:)

Back
Top Bottom