Losing my best canine friend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am sorry.

I love dogs so much, I get it.

Just saw this thread for the first time. Sorry to hear about your loss, Tammy. It's a difficult thing. But you did what was best for Raven. Fortunately, our society does allow us to make decisions regarding our furry family members. Unfortunately, the same doesn't hold true for our not so furry family. I had to make that last trip to the vet twice a month apart a couple of years ago. And this was about a month and a half after losing another fur kid at home. (Yes, we're a little crazy when it comes to rescuing our fur kids). We've paid the thousands of dollars for treatments and we've declined some treatments because we knew the rehab or side effects would actually be worse. You did the right thing. And you'll know when it's time for another furry friend in your life.

BTW, we now have 6 dogs and 1 cat, 2 of the dogs are 8 weeks old and have been with us since we found them abandoned by a river less than 1 week old. I've had dogs from a pretty young age, but never from before their eyes were even open. I don't even want to think about what it will be like when their time to cross the bridge comes.

Well,... this evening I finally put Raven's ashes to rest in her back yard, in a little patch of grass where she used to like to lay:(, so she can play from now on & I can have some closure. I have also ordered a little memorial plaque to put over her spot. There were, of course, a few tears shed. The pain lessens a tiny bit with each day, but it has not been easy. The other day when I picked up her ashes, I was talking to the ladies at the desk at the vet's office (I used to work with most of them). A client came up with a tote full of 8- 3 week old Lab puppies. Awwwww..... My heart absolutely melted. They were soooo cute & a bit on the chunky side (mama had been feeding them very well). If not so close to losing Raven, I would have put down a deposit on 1 or 2 immediately. I guess that is my clue that I will be eventually getting another dog & companion. Not to replace Raven, there's no doing that,.... but to have another companion (as I live alone) to share life with. I will get to experience the "joys" of house breaking, training & objects chewed up all over again. Sigh.......:blinking: :D I guess there's light at the end of the tunnel after all. Thank you all for your support, it really has been a sustaining force for me. Words can not begin to express the gratitude I feel for everyone here.

My condolences to you and I wish you strength in dealing with your loss

I'm sorry about your Pup, it's rough. A lot of people don't understand how they can become so close to you. It sounds that everone in this thread understands this. I'm attaching the "Ten Commandments for Responsible Dog Owners" Which I like to read from time to time. My Lab mix died in my lap 2 years ago---still think of her. Our ashes will be mixed and spread in the Boundary Waters of northern Minnesota.

Attachments

• Ten Commandments for a responsible Dog owner.doc
    24.5 KB · Views: 81
Tammy, you're better than me. I still have Ramsey's ashes...They are sitting on my kitchen counter. I pat him on the head every morning when I leave. I couldn't bear to leave him anywhere. He always hated to be left alone.

I'm sorry about your Pup, it's rough. A lot of people don't understand how they can become so close to you. It sounds that everone in this thread understands this. I'm attaching the "Ten Commandments for Responsible Dog Owners" Which I like to read from time to time. My Lab mix died in my lap 2 years ago---still think of her. Our ashes will be mixed and spread in the Boundary Waters of northern Minnesota.

Very good attachment. I have never read it before, but is common sense to me. The more I think about it, the more I believe that when the time comes to get another dog, I will look at getting 2. That way when I am gone for the day, at work or whatever, they will have the company of each other. Dogs ARE social animals, like us, & they need someone else to relate to. That is one of the biggest laments I have, is that I feel I really wasn't around enough for Raven.

Tammy, you're better than me. I still have Ramsey's ashes...They are sitting on my kitchen counter. I pat him on the head every morning when I leave. I couldn't bear to leave him anywhere. He always hated to be left alone.

I have the ashes of my last 4 pups. I just can't figure out where to spread them. The place hasn't come to me yet.

Thadmn:
Our ashes will be mixed and spread in the Boundary Waters of northern Minnesota.

I like that. I may just save all the ashes and have them spread with mine. Now I just need to figure out where I want mine spread! Someone is going to be carrying a big box of ashes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom