Lost Diver Interview

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If this man was a cat at least 8 of his nine lives would be gone. Belief in an Almighty is fine but through his stupidity he endangered not only his own life but that of his rescuers. Let's hope the message really got home.

This guy found alive in a cave, if he were just another one of those dead divers, then probably the news would be a little bit more quiet.

Since he was found alive, it's news. It's even got a human element to it about the search and successful rescue... Now that it's in the news, that's more publicity and warning to all divers who ignore the limits of their training, regardless if it's a cave or other activities.

I have one concern. Since he believes God saved him, will he continue doing asinine stunts, endangering himself AND OTHERS because he believes, no matter what, that God will bail him out?

Originally posted by lakesdiver
I have one concern. Since he believes God saved him, will he continue doing asinine stunts, endangering himself AND OTHERS because he believes, no matter what, that God will bail him out?

With absolute faith like that - shouldn't God call him home sooner rather than later?

:halo: :angel:

At least he recognized how lucky he is and he knows he needs training if he wants to do it again.....

hey Paul168341.... you ever do something really really stupid and live to tell about it?? If you're not sure then I'll help you... YOU JUST DID!

Are you implying by this comment that my posting an opinion on a message board is in any way life threatening?

So then, is this a threat?

It's really sad when people can't defend their beliefs without resorting to hostility.

Are you so insecure in your faith that you feel the need to go on the offensive when the foundations of said faith come into question?

The real point of the post (Now I'll have to simplify for those who have difficulty with higher cognitive function) was the fact that this Orr idiot didn't give any credit to the people who saved his worthless life. This is a person who knowingly and willingly put himself AND OTHERS at risk and doesn't even bother to acknowledge those who willingly put THEMSELVES into harm's way to find him. Even if Hunsicker and co. were there to find him because of "Divine Intervention" does that mean Orr doesn't have to give him (them) thanks? Orr should be planting a big wet smooch on Hunsicker's backside, instead he shrugs it off and says it was all God's doing.
Believe me. I have no issue with people saying "Thank God I'm alive" or better yet, "Thank god Scott Hunsicker was able to find me after I was such an idiot" If someone wants to praise the higher power of their choice, that's fine. Just don't forget all the mere mortals that did the dirty work.

Originally posted by Kaffphine
bengiddins- "Bit of a paradox - Darwin Award candidate who believes in The Almighty "

Not to farther drifted the converstation from Mark Orr, but since I'm into the Darwin awards pretty big... The actions of the award recieptant MUST remove them from the gene pool. Assuming no unsual complacations with the rescue, he doesn't quailify. Although the honorable mentions are always good too.

Oops, my mistake - should have read "future" Darwin Award candidate. Definitely deserves an honourable mention.

I am a Christen, and I don't doubt for a second that God saved that idiots life, but Hunsicker is still the person that pulled his sorry @ss out of the cave, and Hunsicker and everyone else involved in the rescue deserve alot of thanks.
My first reaction to reading this story was, that idiot didn't give Hunsicker nearly enough credit. How would you feel if you saved someones life, found them floating limp out in the water, drug them back to shore, performed CPR and brought them back, and they stand up, say "thank God I'm alive" and walk off.

...how would you react if you were in that air pocket with no gas left waiting for... for... for what? Would you be calm six hours later? Would you still be alive six hours later?

Don't just duck the questions by saying that you would never be in that position. Of course you wouldn't... but... just to amuse Uncle Pug play along with me here.

Scott and partner Daniel Nievas (ph) were stunned at how calm their victim was.

HUNSUCKER:He was amazingly calm.

HUNSUCKER: I attribute his levelheadedness to being able to stay alive for six hours, you know, in total darkness in a water-filled cave waiting for someone to come get him.

MARK ORR, RESCUED CAVE DIVER: Well, I was actually very patient and calm. I'm a Christian, and I pray all the time, and, you know, so it was nothing new to me to begin to pray, even in there. And when I began to pray, just a peace of God came over me, and I had no fear or worry at all.

ORR:"I'm not lucky. I'm blessed.

How would you have reacted if you were in Orr's position?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom