Lots of trouble with new YS-D2Js

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

addyngan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a couple of YS-D1s that has served me quite well for 100+ dives; prepping for an upcoming trip (Solomon Islands) I found one of my YS-D1 wasn't firing all the time. Thought it's prime time to "upgrade" my strobes. Got a couple of YS-D2J from B&H; one of them is dead on arrival. Got it replaced; with the new pair of YS-D2J, both of them are only firing like 1 in 5 times.

I'm using GX7 manual flash, and couple of optic fibers routing from a nauticam housing to the strobes. The same setup works quite well for my YS-D1s; but the fact that both new YS-D2J would fail in similar fashion got my head scratching. Is it really the YS-D2Js are still that bad after moving production back to Japan? Or is it indication to something else wrong in my setup? Camera? Fibers?

(I've even tried slower shutter speed and strong manual flash from the camera; and it doesn't help...)

Can you tell us what flash setting you have set on your Canon, what fiber optic cable you are using, and what flash setting you are using on your strobe? Are you using it with pre flash, no pre flash, manual, or TTL?

Thanks for the reply! I have the Panasonic GX7 mirrorless. I always shoot Manual -- manual mode , manual flash, and manual mode on the strobe. With the YS-D2J, the "Green" manual mode without pre-flash... Similar settings work reasonably fine for my YS-D1...

I have the D2s (not the Js) and they have been reliably firing, also using a Nauticam housing with Sea and Sea fiber optic cables. Do we know that your cables are still functioning properly or that your cables are for sure compatible? I have my camera flash setting to fill flash as well.

SS-50128
Sea & Sea Fiber Optic Cable II M/2 (Medium 18")

I would also call Backscatter in Monterey, California to see if they have any suggestions.

what sort of fibre optic cables you using? I've seen threads on here where S&S triggering issues have been fixed with a good quality cable, apparently they are not all created equal. First step would be to see if they trigger directly from the flash reliably (outside the housing) . If they work when you try them that way it indicates the cable might be the issue.. If they don't work that way I'd be returning them.

If they fire with the camera not in the housing, it is most likely the fiber cable that you have. You will need one of the multi-core fibers from S&S to make this work well. (or make your own with the Inon bushings and some multi-core fiber).
Bill

This seems to be a common problem with the S&S strobes. The standard fibre cables are too thin to transmit enough light to trigger reliably. You can easily and cheaply make your own fibre optic cables with low cost supplies with amazon or ebay. After all of my $50 & $100 a pair cables wore out, I made a few pairs for about $20 with 3mm optical end glow fibre. You can buy it for about $15 for 6 meters. Reuse your old end caps and connectors.

There is a good DIY thread on this topic here: http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=599355&h1=

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom