Love my Dive Rite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving Dave

Reaction score
I got a Dive Rite steel plate with 50 lb rec wings to replace my Seaquest ProQD about 6 months ago. My only regret is that the dive shop where I got certified 5 years ago didn't tell me all the benefits of backplates when I was buying my gear!

They are probably like my lds....if they dont sell it...they dont push it.

Same here!!! Thank God I never bought equipment when I first started out! I kept on renting until I learned more.

I'm very happy with my Halcyon 27! :)

I just bought a new Dive Rite TransPac II with Rec Wings...weight integrated pockets...etc. Great improvement over the old jacket style bc...the Dive Rite stayed glued to my back...great bouyancy...great hover...great integrated system. It is certainly something I would use in all environments. A few adjustments here and there...works like a charm.

BartBe once bubbled...
What are these advantages ?

1. The backplate lets me take six pounds off my belt.

2. With those 6 pounds gone, I can dive the rivers and quarries around here with no weights at all.

3. My chest and sides are less cluttered without all that jacket stuff.

4. I have the straps adjusted perfectly : the BC doesn't sag on land and ride up in the water.

5. Easier to stay horizontal in the water.

6. Packs smaller.

7. Better tank straps.

8. Looks studly.

I have the transpac with the rec wings...and was considering going with a Steel BP setup...How much would it cost me to change out the transpac for the steel bp?

--Sean

Diving Dave-

I have the same wing with a Fred T. heavy, short BP and a heavy STA.

It's the most comfortable(probably most inexpensive) BC I have ever worn.

Fits me like it was custom made for me cause it was!

Do you use it with a single tank? I am about to buy the same setup because the lds carries dive rite. But I have been warned about using double wings for single tanks, that's why I am wondering.

Now this is the first time I have ever used a Backplate and wing BUT....

My dive rite rec wing worked perfectly with a single Al. 80 tank-I couldn't be more satisfied.

I have a Fred T. backplate(heavy, short) with a heavy STA. At the surface I am perfectly perpendicular with the water. With the Rec wing fully inflated my chin is about a foot above the surface of the water and still perfectly perpendicular-not at all being forced face face down.

So comfortable.

I couldn't detect any air trapping/shifting or wrapping of the wing around the tank underwater. I left the gusset controls where they were when I received the wing from LeisurePro. I thought I might have to make the wing smaller for a single tank but I am very happy with the trim characteristics in the water-better than any BC I have ever used. And the handles lasered into the sides of the Fred T. backplate-brilliant! I would not buy a backplate without those handles. The plate/wing setup can become quite heavy, with thick plates and STAs. Having a handle makes it easy to lift and maneuver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom