Low Key Roatan Destination

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PhillyDiver86

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all,
At 20 years old I'd imagine I'm one of the less mature of age people on the board, but I was hoping you all could help me out anyway...

I'm looking to head out by myself on a dive trip to Roatan around the end of September. I went with my dad a couple years back and stayed at Bay Island Beach Resort, but this time I decided to save up the money to treat myself to a solo excursion and hopefully meet some cool people along the way, as I find always tends to happen in diving situations.

My idea of the necessities for this trip are pretty simple... food, a hammock, and a lot of diving pretty much cover all the bases. BIBR seemed to fill these needs quite nicely and up until I did some research just now I was pretty much set on heading back there. However, I looked into a few other places, most impressive of which was CoCo View Resort which not only seems to be a favorite but is a bit cheaper. At this point I think if it weren't for the people at BIBR who I would love to go back and see, I would be set on CCV -- it seems like the best compromise between great diving and a few ammenities a little more modern than BIBR could offer (I know I insisted on the basics but a gym and the option of internet are swaying me too). I would love to hear everyone else's thoughts on the topic, and any other opinions of possible low key places that would be good for diving and relaxing would be much appreciated.

Also I gather that the end of September is the slow season, so if anyone can offer any insight on just how different it is (since we went in July before), I would greatly appreciate that as well. Thanks for any help.

All of your requirements can be met at CCV, hammocks-o-plenty. The internet can be iffy at times. It's not unheard of to do 6 dives in one day (sunrise, two morning boat dives, two afternoon boat dives and a night dive). The only problem you might have, being younger, might be that CCV doesn't really have a night life. Some have kayaked of swam across the channel to Fantasy Island. The bar is mostly full at night and they do have a hot tub. There is a tv upstairs in the clubhouse, that's about it. Get on the CCV chat room (http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/mb/ccv) and find out lots more. Also check out the web cams.

Low Key Resort on Roatan. Man- that won't be hard to find.

CCV, as K8 said, is built and designed for diving.

If their internet isn't working- aint nobody on Roatan's who is working.

Go there to eat, sleep and dive. 5 maybe 6 times a day.

CCV should do you. The do have wireless internet if you bring a laptop and they also have a gym of sorts,nothing fancy but there are a few machines in it.

Thanks for the replies, I'm leaning more and more towards CCV. Any comment on just how slow the slow season is? Am I gonna have the whole island to myself?

You want a gym on a dive trip? :11: Working out after diving can increase DCS, as can a hot tub. Okay after several hours, but I'd think you'd want to use the time and energy for more diving.

One of the reasons that Sept is in slow season is because of the increased possibility of a hurricane. Not likely, but do check NOAA forecasts before you go so you won't get off the plane surprised to see an airport full of people trying to evacuate. Trip Insurance is always a good idea leaving the country. :thumb:

Like I said, the prospect of a gym is just a secondary bonus. If I were to work out I would make sure there would be an excess of 4 hours before or after any dive I would take, probably meaning the best time would be mid-evening when I don't have a night dive planned. I wouldn't do any heavy cardio either, just weights for the most part (not sure if one is better than the other though in terms of avoiding DCS). Although some studies suggest that exercise can actually reduce DCS, I wouldn't risk doing it within a few hours of diving.

Thanks for the advice, the prospect of hurricanes makes me a bit uneasy but I guess I'll just hope for the best since there's no other time in the near future I'd be able to get down there.

PhillyDiver86:
Thanks for the replies, I'm leaning more and more towards CCV. Any comment on just how slow the slow season is? Am I gonna have the whole island to myself?

LOL.....you'll not ever be by yourself at CCV! Even in slow season they run an almost full house. Anywhere you go in the caribbean you'll have the concern of hurricanes. There's no way to predict if/when one will hit, but rest assured all the resorts have emergency plans in place. I was at CCV in October, arrived just after Wilma and Beta doused us with lots of rain while I was there. Didn't effect the diving!

Go....join the CCV family....enjoy a place that was built By divers FOR divers.....you'll have a great time!

58 days until my 9th trip there! :D

PhillyDiver86:

CCV is one of those places that is full all of the time. #1) It is popular, full of repeat guests, #2) It is small... if it were packed to the max, 72 people would be sharing four 55 foot dive boats. Packed isn't necessarily crowded.

Look at http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/mb/ccv and ask your CCV questions there. A lot of "regulars" live at that bulltein board, probably because they like the live webcam of the shore dive http://www.cocoviewresort.com/webcams.html

There are any number of resorts on Roatan, and CCV is my favorite. I have seen all of the other resorts, examples of their rooms, and have been diving with all of the major resorts. I have made by choice for CCV after comparing them all and considering my needs. I put diving over all other pursuits. On other islands in the Caribbean, you might pick one resort over another for its non-dive activities. On Roatan, simply put - there really are no other non-dive activities.

Even then, that's not how I pick my resort. I look at the ease of diving, the character of the boats, the quality, quanity and the intangables. At CCV, start with the large boats, the dedicated no-slosh camera tanks, dedicated tables, grab rails, a center cut moon well http://www.cocoviewresort.com/boats.html in the middle of the boat for easy boarding. The boats and the resort are all but handicapped accessable, in fact many roller-divers go there.

I prefer the SouthSide of Roatan because I understand what makes the Bay Islands special. It is the small stuff. Carry a magnifying glass, go slowly, perfect your buoyancy- be amazed. Many folks think they love the North or west side because it affords them the larger crtitters (such as frequent spotting of Lobsters, Crabs, 10-18" fish, etc). I prefer the elusive crustaceans, the Pipefish, the SeaHorses. Things that like the environmjent provided by the shallow walls of the South side.

I could go on and on, and Lord knows I have. I go a lot of places to dive, but always make it "back home" to CCV on Roatan at least twice a year, usualy for 2 weeks at a time.

Good info, you convinced me on CCV -- and I do happen to agree with you in terms of what I prefer to see on dives, it's all about the small stuff (although turtles will always be my favorite).

Only problem now is I just realized that I was misinformed about the end date of my internship that will be funding the trip... sooo looks like the soonest I'll be able to get down there will be about this time next year during my spring break. Hey at least I won't have to worry about hurricanes now, lol...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom