Low, mid, or high range regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did read your post, but the fact remains they were bashing Dive Rite. Who knows why? I can think of several scenarios where they would push you off a particular brand based on some self serving reason. Maybe just out of personal bias.

If anyone knows of some reason to doubt Dive Rite's commitment to Open Circuit SCUBA gear, please speak up.. But I think this is BS. ..And I don't even use Dive Rite regs, so I think I am pretty impartial on this topic.

And them worrying about the lost sale? I doubt it. You may not have told them your were shopping regs online, but it does not take a genius to figure that out. Doesn't everybody do that these days?

I did read your post, but the fact remains they were bashing Dive Rite. Who knows why? I can think of several scenarios where they would push you off a particular brand based on some self serving reason. Maybe just out of personal bias.

If anyone knows of some reason to doubt Dive Rite's commitment to Open Circuit SCUBA gear, please speak up.. But I think this is BS. ..And I don't even use Dive Rite regs, so I think I am pretty impartial on this topic.

And them worrying about the lost sale? I doubt it. You may not have told them your were shopping regs online, but it does not take a genius to figure that out. Doesn't everybody do that these days?

All I can is the guy was super laid back. When asked if he could service Dive Rite, he said sure thing. I asked if they mail it in or VS in house, he said in house. He asked when I'd come in, they were a little busy at the moment. I said I hadn't purchased one yet, but noticed they were one of my closest options to service (about 2 hours north of me). He said - very laid back - if I hadn't purchased yet, he might suggest looking at other options, talked a few reasons as mentioned and commented on some of their part supplies. The irony here is that being one of the only DiveRite dealers near me, he could have encouraged me to come shop around at their store and get me a deal, or come in for service once I grab them, etc. Instead, his solutions indicated that with other options I could also be serviced in my own backyard (Portland).

This may be BS. Look, it's one guy. But my two closest dealers - one said don't buy it, the other I have to call back tomorrow when their head tech is in because the rest of the staff didn't know about it.

I'm not closed to the idea, but its certainly a rocky start. For $700 on that kit, its a very good deal for high quality regs especially if I am committed to self servicing.

I am ok with him recommending a brand that might be a better fit for local service. That's fine. But telling you DR is moving away from Open Circuit Regs in favor of Rebreathers seems silly to me.

I don't want to speak for all brands. (others here know much more than me), but some of the 'Top' brands have dealer financing structures that forces them to hold inventory. So this might not stop a shop from selling gear from a smaller player (like DR), they are hardly impartial.

Think about it. If you were sitting on $100k of inventory for 'Acme SCUBA', and maybe even had some pricing structure by reaching certain pricing hurdles for said 'Acme' brand gear... How might you respond when a curious new diver walks in asking about gear from 'Brand X'. I humbly suggest that even if you have 'Brand X' available, you might be pressured to push the 'Acme' gear. I also think there is some 'Brand X' negativity based on a shop owner I know well. I think they would be much happier if this was a closed market, and the top 3 or 4 brands did not have competitors out there undercutting their pricing with equally good products.

Please don't misunderstand me. If you think you might be better off paying the premium for the Apeks regs, have at it! I am sure you will be happy with them. But please don't do it because you think Dive Rite is getting out of selling regs or service kits.

I am not sold on anything. It was one person, one opinion.

I only mean to say, I can't see how even with $100k of stuff sitting around he'd be motivated to sell me on any of it. I'm an out of towner. If he was pushing Apeks (he didn't even bring up a brand, *I* brought them up) he just pushed me to a local Portland store.

I am not saying he is at all right. I am just saying I doubt he had ulterior motives given the particular circumstance. Misinformed, wrong, perhaps! It's just one guy. But if he wanted to misinform me, the only thing in his favor would have been pushing me to DiveRite.

He could be totally off base. I would, however, be curious to know more about this.

You know filmguy123, based on all your threads, you really don't know anything about your diving requirements. I'm sure you can learn quite a bit online from SB, but nothing beats personal experience, something you can't get here. I would suggest to go out diving and get some experience, maybe then you would be able to ask more informed and focused questions. I welcome your enthusiasm, keep it up

Good diving, Craig

To balance it out, I called every shop in the NW on the DR dealer site.

2 of them sounded clueless and like I wouldn't trust them to sharpen my pencil. But that could have just been the employee on the phone I got - neither was the tech.

Another was new and didn't know.

One, as mentioned, encouraged a different brand.

2 loved DiveRite. Of those 2, 1 would could not service in house and would have to mail it off. The other, in Seattle city center, was by far the most confident and knowledgeable and loved DiveRite, saw no concern, and didn't think other brands like Apeks or scubapro were worth the premium.

So, I've got 1 dealer I could see myself working with. 3 hours away. It's too bad everyone else seemed so sketchy on the whole issue.

Lorenzoid, that's actually kind of impressive because that Divers Supply is where HOG is headquartered.... In the same building....

Anyway, Dive Rite isn't going anywhere, remember, they need regulators to drive their rebreathers.... So as long as the company is around, the regs are going to be around. In terms of parts, they are available, maybe not as easily as certain hard parts that are not supposed to be replaced unless a tech botches the job. Dive Rite's new website is complete sh!t, so it doesn't mention what grade of dealers they are, but there are like 4 in the Seattle area, so one of them should be a stocking dealer. Either way, they are firmly entrenched in the industry and aren't going anywhere.

Atomic as mentioned is not the best idea for true cold water diving since Alaska was mentioned. If properly sealed they are going to work fine, but it is expensive *minimum $25 premium per first stage to seal*, actually does require regular maintenance due to degradation of the lube, is very sensitive to heat because it will start flowing if you leave it in the car for too long and it gets hot, and if it isn't sealed properly, can actually cause corrosion to occur very rapidly inside the chamber. This is true for any sealed piston regulator. Scubapro tried to make the MK25 to the point that it doesn't have to be sealed, but it still doesn't work nearly as well as a proper diaphragm.

Ok, great info here.
And for all I know, the not too distant future possibly. I also do like the idea of having a kit that is going to be ready for GUE training in the future and I believe they require an identical safe second + redundancy, is that correct?

My only concern with all of this is ... will they work in Antartica 33 F? Or how about Alaska's 36 F in the coldest areas? Or when we say cold water are we mostly discussing 38-40+ for the coldest the PNW has to offer? I'm getting at... where is the tipping point here before you need something that can work in the extremes?
I think I did my fundies rec dives with mismatched 2nds. I don't think it's a big deal as long as they are compatible and properly adjusted.

There are very few regulators used by the organizations that regularly dive in very cold water. The US Navy uses a particular Mares Abyss and a particular Posiden reg, the US science divers use ancient Aqualungs, etc. if diving in 38 degree or colder water (particularly fresh water) is in your future you should do a lot of research as to what to choose.

Last edited:
If properly sealed they are going to work fine, but it is expensive *minimum $25 premium per first stage to seal*, actually does require regular maintenance due to degradation of the lube, is very sensitive to heat because it will start flowing if you leave it in the car for too long and it gets hot, and if it isn't sealed properly, can actually cause corrosion to occur very rapidly inside the chamber. This is true for any sealed piston regulator..

Really? Gee, I wonder why my packed MK10s looked perfect after 5 years.....that's with tribolube.

Lorenzoid, that's actually kind of impressive because that Divers Supply is where HOG is headquartered.... In the same building....

I thought it was HQ'd in the Macon, GA Divers Supply. The Marietta, GA Divers Supply is in a small strip mall storefront. Macon's is larger and in their own building if I recall. You''d be surprised how poorly trained the Marietta store's staff is on HOG gear. For example, the employee I spoke with at the time I had my regs serviced insisted there was no such thing as a coldwater/sealed conversion kit. I mentioned this in a thread somewhere not long ago, and it may very well have been you who quickly provided a link to prove such a kit exists. All the more reason to learn to service them myself. If the employees of HOG's major dealer don't know the product line, I have no great faith in their tech. And as I said, I have my suspicions that the Marietta store doesn't always even have a tech on hand. On the bright side--and the reason I suppose I keep going back--is they have a pool that, if not booked for a class, they will let anyone use for free and will even supply a tank for free.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom