Low visibility and buoyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TexasKaren68

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have a question because I felt like such a dork on my dives today.

Are there any hints for maintaining neutral buoyancy when you have no visual references, other than your computer :confused:

I went diving in a lake with the worst visibility I've experienced to date. It was maybe 3-4 feet in good spots, less than 2 in others. Unless I was two feet above the bottom, I had no idea where the bottom was - usually until I crashed into it :dork2: If I was standing on the bottom trying to figure out where I was, I couldn't even see my feet sometimes.

I felt overweighted on the dive, but I'm not sure that was the case. I mean, if I'd been able to see the bottom I think I could have avoided hitting it when a high rock came out of nowhere.

My computer is scratched, my knees are bruised and I am feeling (yet again) like i suck at diving :crying:

Welcome to every diver's world. Whether in low vis, night, or blackout without any visual references it's generally a good idea to be either on the bottom or at the surface.

Personally whenever I'm in those types of conditions, my navigation is solely instrument based (computer, compass and kick cycles). If I fumble on either one of those 3, I usually end up lost, worried, and second guessing myself.

I've definitely gone face first into the muck on several dives. The trick is to swim slowly and stay to the side and a head's length behind your buddy (let him or her go face first into the muck) :wink:
That or stay behind your outstretched hand.
Other than that, pick your site and pick your dive. :coffee:

Edit: Also btw, you do suck at diving. You shouldn't be standing on the bottom :D

*kidding-kidding*

IMO Your depth gauge is your freind in this situation.
Zero vis or no visual references have the same effect really.so relying on your instruments is all you have to go on.
Happy to be proven wrong here

Edit: Also btw, you do suck at diving. You shouldn't be standing on the bottom :D

*kidding-kidding*

Well, actually I don't think I was ever "standing" on the bottom - kicking at it frantically maybe, but not standing :D

I have a question because I felt like such a dork on my dives today.

Are there any hints for maintaining neutral buoyancy when you have no visual references, other than your computer :confused:

I went diving in a lake with the worst visibility I've experienced to date. It was maybe 3-4 feet in good spots, less than 2 in others. Unless I was two feet above the bottom, I had no idea where the bottom was - usually until I crashed into it :dork2: If I was standing on the bottom trying to figure out where I was, I couldn't even see my feet sometimes.

I felt overweighted on the dive, but I'm not sure that was the case. I mean, if I'd been able to see the bottom I think I could have avoided hitting it when a high rock came out of nowhere.

My computer is scratched, my knees are bruised and I am feeling (yet again) like i suck at diving :crying:

Usually when you are diving at a site that has poor vis. then you would take a compass heading at the surface and use that to navigate to point "B"
As for bouyancy, without a guide line or something to guide you, then the computer is the next best thing. Your buddy should be providing one of the tasks, either depth or navigation. It's alot to do unless you practice doing both things at the same time.
You would move slower through the water so you don't crash or use the bottom for reference by staying at a depth that you are able to see the bottom. It's good practice if you can follow the bottom without crashing, but do be careful that you don't run into something or start going deeper than you are planning.
The weight issue is another thing. If you feel over weighted, then you might be. You should be horizontal in the water and not swimming at an angle with your feet down and your upper body higher. Also, if you are close to the bottom then you would be stirring up the bottom. That's not a very effecient position. Sounds like you need some in water critique to correct the issues that you are having.

Last edited:
Well, actually I don't think I was ever "standing" on the bottom - kicking at it frantically maybe, but not standing :D

Yeeeeeeah, that might have had something to do with you not seeing you feet. :rofl3:
You find anything after the dust settled? I usually find lots of sand dollars after the basic kids finish skills under the float :wink:.

Pick you site right and you may be able to collect tube worms for the fishermen :D

Buoyancy control with no visual reference is very tricky to learn.

You have to keep an eye on your depth gauge, while controlling you breathing. This way you will get immediate feedback if you are descending or ascending.

Practice holding a stop while watching your depth gauge, a wrist mounted one on your right wrist is a good idea. Then you are controlling your buoyancy with your left hand while monitoring depth on your right.

Just relax and get a feel for the changes that your breathing has on your position in the water column. Get in good horizontal trim and relax, use breathing with a little bit of venting to ascend and make adjustments. Try to avoid being vertical, this might tempt you to start finning to ascend, better to get a feel for breathing control.

Another thing that you can do is one minute ascent drills. Hold a stop for one minute, then ascent ten feet shallower and hold that stop for one minute. As you relax and get comfortable with things, it'll get easier.

The fact that you are thinking about it and asking questions is a good thing.

It take some time, find a dive buddy that wants to work on the same skill(s) and go practice. As you mentioned, getting yourself properly weighted is something you want to spend time doing also.

Ascents with no visual reference are tricky to get better at, but it's fun practice for your and your dive buddy, and time well spent.

Imagine that! Time spent with a dive buddy practicing skills is fun!

-Mitch

Thanks for the suggestion. Maybe in June, which will be my next available weekend for local diving, I'll head back out to the same lake and practice the hover/ascend 10 feet/hover drill. I think that would be an excellent thing to be able to master.

I also need to practice submerging to start the dive. I'm still at a loss as to how I can feel over-weighted on the bottom, yet have trouble getting under in the first place.

I don't have a local buddy all my own, but so many people from my LDS go out diving every weekend I doubt it will be a problem to find one.

I do hope the visibility improves a bit by then though.

Reactions: Jax
If you are in a lake or quarry (i.e., no current, especially no upwellings or downwellings) look at all the particulates that are contributing to your poor vis - watch if they are moving up (you are descending) or down (you are ascending). Even in quite clear water, visual referencing to particulates is often easier than keeping a constant eye on your computer.

Gauges are your friend here. Low viz diving will teach you to trust and monitor them.

In extreme circumstances, you could employ the use of a surface buoy (SMB) throughout the dive. This can help provide some visual reference and control.

With regards buoyancy... being deprived of visual references can often expose any faults with your weighting. A badly weighted diver can often compensate for that bad weighting on their dives - using finning/sculling etc, or over-use of their BCD. That relies on visual feedback.

One of the 'tests' I do with my trainees is a mask-remove/replace whilst in horizontal hover. This exposes any flaws in their buoyancy and normally leads to some adjustment in their weighting.

Treat your exposure to low viz as a simular 'test' for your buoyancy and make adjustments as necessary. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom