Lp: Let's beat the dead horse!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
If this guy says that SP can't identify the serial number on his reg then who are to say he isn't telling the truth?

Looks like at least slander to me, LOL

If he reads numbers the way he spells, he gave them the wrong number.... Seriously, does anyone know if ScubaPro US has the serial numbers for ALL SP regs or just the ones intended for North American (US only?) consumption? It's highly likely LP is sourcing their inventory from Europe. And IF they are actually fakes, wouldn't THAT be something...... :boom:

FWIW, I have never bought a single piece of gear from them.

I am amazed at the number of consumers that keep blasting LP for trying to sell a product while they continue to make excuses for the Scubapro's of the world. If you don't want to support LP for whatever reason, at least consider this- if Scubapro was as concerned with your reg being "life support" equipment as you are, don't you think they would honor a warrenty regardless of where you bought it? If you really want to make a statement and attempt to change the current practices found within the US scuba market then you should refuse to buy a piece of SP equipment from any source. Send them a letter stating why you are boycotting their stuff. The fact that LP seems to always have access to SP regs should tell you that SP is willing to look the other way. Why shouldn't they? They sold a piece of gear! I bet that LP sells more SP regs than 100 average LDS's combined.

1615Mike,
I have to type in Word, spell check there, and then copy here. Yes, it's a pain, but obviously worth the effort for some! :) I wish there were a spell check here.

And how do you do that quote (once bubbled) thing?

Saying,
I've had similar positive experiences (non-regulator) with LP. Do you send your reg back there for the annual inspection?

Whoa, I don't agree with much that Mike Ferrara says, but I agree with him on this issue.

Here's a thought: when ScubaPro authorizes someone to sell their products, then ScubaPro also inherits the liability for any problems. In effect, they supervise the sales of their equipment.

ScubaPro can confidently stand up and say that the product bought from an unauthorized source may have been altered or worked on, or be a piece that ScubaPro deemed not for sale. So, by not being allowed to have a hand in the sale of their equipment, ScubaPro denies the ability for anyone to nail them for faulty equipment.

The issue with the S-650's is a case in point, and again I defer to Mike Ferrara. It's a good point, will LP sell you an S-650 that they HAVE to unload, because they surely can't ship it back to SP, knowing that SP has stopped selling that particular type because of a known deficiency?

Prices be damned, lawyers cost a lot! Sp knows this. Is LP playing the lottery in reverse with the S-650's?

I do not believe that these are excuses for SP. Authorized retailers are simply sound business principles in limiting litigation in a 'sue happy' society.

Colin Berry

And quit avoiding an issue by nailing a guy for bad spelling. We've all done it. This isn't a resume!!

probably knew damn well where the reg came from, and said that just to screw with him.

If you want to believe they can't track S/Ns, go right ahead. I don't and won't.

I've bought a bunch of stuff from LP. Its all been legitimate. A friend of mine bought a complete Mk25/S600/R380 kit from them last year. It was all legit product, in the original SP boxes, factory sealed.

I've had my stuff from LP that was made by SP apart, and I can tell you this - if its fake, then where'd they get all the quite-authentic SP parts from?

Has anyone checked to see if this controversy
also holds for Apeks regs purchased from LP.....
(do their serial numbers match)......if they
don't maybe those of you who purchase online
should try Dive Inn since they are an authorized
non USA dealer

JohnnyQuest once bubbled...
Saying,
I've had similar positive experiences (non-regulator) with LP. Do you send your reg back there for the annual inspection?

Haven't tried it just because their lead time is said to be about a month.

I'd rather just bite the bullet, pay the extra couple of non-warranty bucks and get it done by the LDS. After all, I do prefer spending money in the LDS than online... just not when it's a difference of hundreds of dollars for no good reason other than the whimsy of equipment manufacturers.

cd_in_SeaTac once bubbled...

Hello?

what's your point? He bought it from LP.

Without offending anyone if possible, I'd like to know if there would be any difference in an Aqua Lung reg bought at LP.

LP wants $395 for the Legend LX Supreme ($525 CDN). DiveInn wants $499 ($664 CDN). My LDS wants $960 Canadian.

In a city the size of Toronto, there is no such thing as LDS loyalty. They are only interested in selling whatever they can to pay the ridiculous rent. I would gladly fork over an extra $100 to support a local shop, but obviously I'd prefer to save the $435 by buying at LP. I've read the tech manuals for Apeks ATX200. Wondering if the parts are readily available for AquaLungs, and if it's much hassle servicing your own.

Thanks.

PS. - to the guy on this board from DiveInn: Why does your website insist on displaying $US for Canadian customers. There has been a drastic change in the exchange rate between our currencies. The $US has been devalued, not the $CDN. By charging us in $US, you're really screwing us over.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom