Lung infection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pam and Stella

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello Doc!

I have been treated recently with prednisone 14 day pack treatment for a lung inflammation, I have asthma , and am on advair and albuterol to keep my lungs healthy How long would u recommend staying out of the water if i feel fully recooperated?
Thank you,
Pamela

This forum may be able to offer some advice, but first I'd like to know:

Did you have written medical clearence to dive prior to this bout of lung inflammation?

What did your physician say when you asked this question?

Best regards.

DocVikingo

YES! Absolutely..... I had a full checkup, lung spyrometry
test. I have been diving for years now, with just once getting a bronchial infection I believe from a deep dive,100ft.I was curious as to whether molds and fungi can live and grow in the regulator hoses? Cold air I realize is the worst thing for asthmatics, so I do not dive more than 65ft as a safety precaution these days ,and only when I am positive I am breathing 100%. If I were to have an attack I feel my chances are better with shallow dives. I also let my Dm know I have a medical condition.

Thank you,
Pam

As regards your most recent question about whether molds and fungi can live and grow in regulator hoses, the answer is yes, they can, but this occurs only in hoses that have somehow gotten damp inside. A properly treated & cared for reg system (e.g., tank not breathed dry, reg rinsed only while under pressure) will not get water inside. If you think that your hoses may be contaminated, replace them. Also, second stages should be periodically disinfected by soaking in a dilute bleach mixture or one of the many good commercial products designed for such sanitization (e.g., SaniZide Plus, Advance TBE, Bi-Arrest 2 & Confidence Plus).

As regards your original question about return to scuba following oral steroid treatment for lung inflammation, one would want current chest x-rays to be unremarkable and be confident that the inflammation had fully resolved and lung function returned to normal limits. Of course, the individual should also feel fit & ready to dive.

It is not clear from your description to date exactly what procedures your physician has applied in granting you clearance to dive, but some diving medicine experts feel that standard static spirometry is not adequate for this purpose and recommend an exercise provocation test. This is a procedure where you'll be allowed to administer your Advair and albuterol, and then be subjected to strenuous exercise during which periodic assessments of lung function are made. Your pulmonologist should be familiar with the technique.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

Back
Top Bottom