Mac & Dive Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So it seems that (as with many areas in software) that having a Mac leaves a lot to be desired in the Dive Computer world...or does it?
<< snip >>
Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

I have had a Mac since 1986 and have been through over two decades of these sorts of issues. Whatever happens, there is generally a workaround. They only disappointment I have with my DataMask is the fact that Oceanic's OceanLog software is PC only. However, it does print an exceptionally detailed log of a dive along with a depth chart, computes SAC, etc. I just bootcamp into XP, download my dive data from the mask and then print the log to PDF file. Over on the Mac side, I do the printing into booklet format for my dive log binder and all the files get backed up by Time Machine.

Choose your dive computer, then work out the details.

I was in a very similar situation except I was on a PPC computer so MacDive was not an option. I went with a used Mosquito and a usb adapter off of Ebay. Divelog has worked like a charm. Being able to look at my dive profiles has been a great help in gaining experience and recalling events. Suunto is a little conservative but at this point in my diving that is not a bad thing. It is stricter with regards to ascent rates and maintaining my depth for safety stops which has helped me become better at those skills. In the long run the lack of a gauge mode is what will prove to be the limiting factor for this computer. By the time that I need that I will be ready to step up to a more full-featured computer or just go with a bottom timer. Either way I will have gotten plenty of use out of my first computer.

I don't like Suunto because they are VERY conservative, and don't *appear* to take into account multi-level profiles. I don't own a Suunto, but based on recent postings, this appears to be true. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me.
@RonFrank:
Huh? Of course, Suunto dive computers do NDL calculations for multi-level profiles. In fact, I can't think of any product being marketed as a "dive computer" that does not calculate NDLs for multi-level profiles.
Consider yourself corrected. :D

By the way, that stuff you quoted from Aeris is nothing more than marketing hogwash -- the kind of drivel that paints a basic function as a distinguishing feature.
When next at BH, I'm going to try and find someone diving a Suunto. I'm curious to see the difference. My Aeris computers can go from 4 bars to 3 bars during a dive, so credit for slow ascents, and deep stops is something I have witnessed. This can also happen during shallow safety stops.
With both Suunto and Aeris computers set on the most liberal setting, you'll find that the Aeris (or Oceanic or Sherwood -- all are made by Pelagic) computer will display more NDL time for a given depth. That's no secret.
Also, the Suunto modified RGBM can be more penal than other manufacturers' deco algorithms for ascents faster than 33fpm and shorter surface intervals in-between dives.
Despite these issues, I've used my Suunto Mosquito for over 200 dives under many conditions, a fair number of which were repetitive multi-day dive trips. I can honestly say that I've never felt restricted by the Suunto algorithm. Perhaps it's my personality. I'm not the kind of guy who likes to "ride the NDLs." If the OP is, then I suggest he look at purchasing one of the more liberal non-Suunto computers...but that wasn't the point of this thread now, was it?

Ron, I suspect your Aeris handles "deep stops" in the same manner that my Suunto does. It will treat a one or 2 minute deep stop as just part of the dive profile. Technically, it won't allow you to spread out your safety stop over a range of depths (or deep stops), which is what some newer dive computers allow the user to do. To determine if I'm right about this, do a deep stop on your next dive and see if your 15 fsw safety stop is the standard 3 minutes. If it's shorter than 3 minutes (let's say only one minute), then your computer probably has the "deep stops" feature. I doubt that it will, though.

FYI, one can do deep stops while using any dive computer -- even if it doesn't offer the "deep stops" feature. Simply do your planned deep stops. The computer will continue to re-calculate NDLs at various depths during the ascent and may actually trip over into deco since it's not giving you "credit" for the deep stops. Then you just do the deco stop. No big deal. Your dive lasts a little bit longer. You were able to gain the benefit of the deep stops...and your computer stays happy. The best of both worlds so long as you allow for this in your gas planning.
As I've become a more experienced diver, I have pushed my NDL more especially during vacation diving. So far, so good, but I'm at the point where I will need a deco class if I want to stay down longer! :D However the last thing I need is a computer to does not take into account deep stops, or multi-level profiles, and may lock me out. My Epic does deco, so while I've never had a deco obligation, if I were to run into that, I would just do it if at all possible.
For the record, I believe every product currently being marketed as a "dive computer" has a Deco mode. All divers should become familiar with the Deco screen on their computers and know how to interpret the "stop time" and "ceiling" depth.
I only owned a Mac for a couple of weeks before I took it back like the stink bomb it was because Mac has very little real world software--but---in Parallels---refresh my memory for that application on a Mac, cannot you drag the file from the Windows desktop on to the Mac desktop?

N, PC with Ubunto Linux on Parrallels
@Nemrod: Not a Steve Jobs disciple, eh? I'm not sure what you mean by "real world software." With Parallels or VirtualPC software, one can run pretty much any major OS on the Mac. I've loaded several flavors of Linux, Win95, WinXP, and Windows Vista on my Macbook Pro. They all run fine.
FWIW, with each new iteration of Parallels and VirtualPC, support for sharing files among the various OSs is getting more robust. Currently, with Parallels Desktop for Mac, it's pretty good -- with the ability to map Mac folders to Windows letter drives, share user-defined folders, and share files/folders between OSs or even over the network. And, yes, in Parallels version 4.0, one can even drag-and-drop files from Windows to the Mac and vice versa.

What I mean by "real world" is the same kind of software the OP is wanting but can only find for Windows---lol. Bubbletrouble, you can PM me for that argument, I was actually trying to be helpful because in my brief Mac crap ownership I could have sworn I could drag files from one to the other and since it seemed I wound up dragging everything from Mac to Windows and running Windows in the end I figured then what the hay did I need Mac for when I could get a better Windows machine for half as much and Ubuntu is free? But, my point was here that if he could read his dive computer in Windows through Parallels then perhaps he could transfer the file by drag and drop into his Mac operating system for storage and viewing. Maybe I am wrong on that.

N

First off, thanks for all the replies to this post. Seems there's a wealth of knowledge out there for me to sift though :wink:.

I have Parallels and WinXP installed on my MacBook as some of the circuit design software I have to use is PC only. It's not a HUGE hassle to run Parallels and open XP while OS X is running, so using a PC only software feature is not entirely out of the picture. BUT, if I can get a $250 Gekko and use MacDive or similar and run all the software I can in OS X, why bother with a more expensive PC only computer that does "roughly" the same thing as the Gekko?

No, I don't plan on riding the NDL. Most of my diving will be recreational and vacation diving, nothing technical, nothing requiring planned decompression. I mean, heck, this is my FIRST computer as the original post stated.

Thanks again guys.

But, my point was here that if he could read his dive computer in Windows through Parallels then perhaps he could transfer the file by drag and drop into his Mac operating system for storage and viewing. Maybe I am wrong on that.
@Nemrod: Whoops! I completely misunderstood that other post of yours. Sorry about that. :D No need to PM to argue over Mac vs. PC. I'm going to go diving...

@RonFrank:
Huh? Of course, Suunto dive computers do NDL calculations for multi-level profiles. In fact, I can't think of any product being marketed as a "dive computer" that does not calculate NDLs for multi-level profiles.

FYI, one can do deep stops while using any dive computer -- even if it doesn't offer the "deep stops" feature. Simply do your planned deep stops. The computer will continue to re-calculate NDLs at various depths during the ascent and may actually trip over into deco since it's not giving you "credit" for the deep stops. Then you just do the deco stop. No big deal.

For the record, I believe every product currently being marketed as a "dive computer" has a Deco mode. All divers should become familiar with the Deco screen on their computers and know how to interpret the "stop time" and "ceiling" depth.

After looking at Suunto's home page, most of their newer models do give credit for deep stops.

However, not all of them do. The Cobra, for example does not. A computer that is considered multi-level profile capable that does not give one credit for slow ascents, or deep stops IMO is not doing it's job.

Going into deco, and incurring an obligation that should not exist because the computer does not handle that is false. You also seem to be tripping over your statements. First you say that all computers handle multi-level profiles, then you say that some may NOT give credit for deep stops/slow ascents, and that should not matter. It can not be both.

On the Aeris in *normal* dive mode, a 3 minute SS is always there. I've not tested to determine what happens if you ignore that stop.

Saying the marketing is *Hogwash* means little. All manufactures have such marketing.

The Aeris/Oceanic algorithm is based on Haldane's theory. That is more liberal than the RBGM model. It's been working for me for many years.

I have nothing against Suunto (other than their no mail-order policy which IS HOGWASH considering you can buy Suunto watches online throughout the world). I do think they are a lot more conservative, and as I indicated, one can always add conservationism into a profile, but if your computer is telling you to make a deco obligation when none is needed, or limiting your time at depth, that could be annoying.

As always, dive within YOUR comfort zone, and be safe!

Ron, it might be time to find out a little more about how deco models track inert gas on & off gassing, Workmans "M" values (Haldane didn't use them, your computer does), why the controlling compartment changes during the dive, how this affects stops done at depth, why the right ascent rate is better than 1 that's too fast or too slow. What a computer does that gives you more bottom time during a multi level dive. You should also look into deep stops & how some researchers don't think they have much, if any application in no stop dives shallower than 40mts.

As you're interested in getting into deco dives you could also ask yourself why most people who do deep deco dives don't use straight out Haldanean/ neo Haldanen models, but have opted for duel phase or adapted single phase models like Bühlmann with gradient factors.

And Ron, if you're going to use a manufacturers marketing "hogwash" to suggest it's products are better than any other, someone will probably call you on it.

Let me preface this by saying that I respect your opinion, Ron...and I think that your avatar is very cool. :) After reading this post, if you don't entirely hate my guts...then I invite you to come out to San Diego for some cold water diving and apres-dive drinks. You are welcome to test-dive my Suunto computer alongside your Aeris Epic.
After looking at Suunto's home page, most of their newer models do give credit for deep stops.
You are correct. In fact, the company is utilizing the "deep stops" feature as marketing hogwash to entice divers to buy/upgrade a Suunto dive computer. Since their modified RGBM is a proprietary algorithm, I don't know the details of their implementation of deep stops. Perhaps the issue is moot since even deco experts admit that we still don't know what the optimal deep stop profile is.
However, not all of them do. The Cobra, for example does not. A computer that is considered multi-level profile capable that does not give one credit for slow ascents, or deep stops IMO is not doing it's job.
Kern brings up a good point. It may be possible for an ascent to be too slow. If you believe that pre-cordial bubbling by Doppler measurement can be used as a marker for DCS, then several studies show evidence of suboptimal ascent profiles involving ascents that were too slow. Thus, a slow ascent may not necessarily be better.
With regard to incorporation of the "deep stops" feature, I think we disagree. I interpret your statements to mean: "If a computer does not give credit for deep stops, then it's not doing its job." Ironically, I do not think your Aeris Epic computer allows the user to spread out a safety stop over one or more deep stops. Please note that I am making a distinction here between giving "credit" for a deep stop and simply treating a deep stop as part of a multi-level dive profile.
Going into deco, and incurring an obligation that should not exist because the computer does not handle that is false. You also seem to be tripping over your statements. First you say that all computers handle multi-level profiles, then you say that some may NOT give credit for deep stops/slow ascents, and that should not matter. It can not be both.
First of all, I invite you to look into the few studies of deep stop profiles in humans and the mathematical modeling of decompression theory. Your current view of decompression obligations is a black-and-white, true/false one. As you delve into the research, I think your view will change. I'll just leave it at that.
Secondly, I have not contradicted myself. Please re-read my earlier posts. Yes, I said that pretty much every modern-day "dive computer" I know of handles multi-level profiles. Yes, I go on to state that "credit" may not be given for deep stops. By "credit," I mean decreasing the duration of a standard 3 min safety stop at 10 - 20 fsw by incorporating deep stops into your ascent profile. One statement does not contradict the other.
In case you're interested, a nice starting point for learning more about deep stops is an essay written by Richard Pyle.
On the Aeris in *normal* dive mode, a 3 minute SS is always there. I've not tested to determine what happens if you ignore that stop.
I would recommend against "testing" your computer by disregarding all or part of a safety stop. As you know, that would likely increase the probability of DCS.
Simply do your deep stop profile...and then see whether the computer asks for a full 3 minute SS.
Please note that I'm making no judgment as to what constitutes a safe/unsafe dive profile here.
Saying the marketing is *Hogwash* means little. All manufactures have such marketing.
I agree that all manufacturers have such marketing. I think Kern covered why I initially brought it up.
The Aeris/Oceanic algorithm is based on Haldane's theory. That is more liberal than the RBGM model. It's been working for me for many years.
I'm glad that you are comfortable with your choice of dive computer. Many divers out there have had the same result as you. That's the empirical power behind the deco algorithms being used -- that many people are using them without experiencing DCS.
In practice, for whatever the reason, I suspect that most divers rarely modify the level of conservatism of their dive computers...even when they should. Heck, probably very few even read the instruction manual cover to cover. These kinds of divers might benefit from a more conservative dive computer.

I want to be clear here. I am not bashing Aeris/Oceanic dive computers. AFAIK, the company makes reliable products. The only issue I have is that there isn't much software out there that makes them compatible with Macs. As the Mac market continues to grow, I'm sure this situation will change.
I have nothing against Suunto (other than their no mail-order policy which IS HOGWASH considering you can buy Suunto watches online throughout the world). I do think they are a lot more conservative, and as I indicated, one can always add conservationism into a profile, but if your computer is telling you to make a deco obligation when none is needed, or limiting your time at depth, that could be annoying.
I think we can all agree that the Suunto modified RGBM algorithm is more conservative than the Aeris/Oceanic algorithm. Every dive is a balancing act between maximizing bottom time and mitigating DCS risk. I actually own a Suunto dive computer, and I've never felt annoyed with its level of conservatism.
Ron, I am 100% with you on the whole mail-order issue. I think that policy is meant to stifle competition and fix prices. I can also see why Suunto would want to compartmentalize world markets so that they can charge more in the U.S. vs. some other country. FWIW, I believe that large drug companies use the same strategy. I could be wrong about this, but it must be an effective strategy to maximize profit...or else they wouldn't be doing it.
As always, dive within YOUR comfort zone, and be safe!
Absolutely.

As an aside, I hope that this thread inspires others to learn more about deep stops and deco theory. I know that I learn more with each new paper that I read. For recently published peer-reviewed papers, I recommend using a comprehensive database known as Pubmed. I realize that not everyone has access to the full-text articles linked from Pubmed, but at the very least one can peruse the article abstracts.

Have fun and dive safe.

USMCPayne,

I've got a half dozen Mac's around my house, and I dive with a Suunto Vyper. Suunto is a great dive computer, and is extremely easy to send your logs to the system. Just make sure to download your cable driver, and your ready to go. Parallels is a pain, you won't need it for your dive logs. MacDive is awesome and does pretty much everything you could ask for.

Semper Fi,

Hutch

Back
Top Bottom