Macho Men

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gidds:
That's exactly WHY I do the "snorkel thing", we wouldn't have any fun diving together :wink:

I hope you guys aren't implying that the "snorkel thing" makes me an awful person or something :frown:

Absolutely nothing wrong with snorkeling or freediving!

Hmm, I have a pink snorkel around here somewhere too, the students tell me that they can always see me that way......

:wink:

Gidds:
That's exactly WHY I do the "snorkel thing", we wouldn't have any fun diving together :wink:

I hope you guys aren't implying that the "snorkel thing" makes me an awful person or something :frown:

I like your snorkel Idea. If more divers went skin-diving betweeen scuba dives there'd be a lot fewer hoovers around too. Gidd's I predict your air consumption will make you a very popular dive buddy in short order.

Pete

Ok...don´t want to get accused of snorcle envy :11:
I do have one...somewhere...I bought it on sale right after I failed to find my old one...I cant really remember what colour it is but I´m pretty sure it had some day-glo orange stuff...does that qualify :06:

Hoovers & rototillers aren't quite so easy to repair, even if they have GREAT attitudes. A lack of training or experience may be fixable, but generally I don't want to spend what I consider a "quality" dive helping a newb. That we'll save for the quarry, thank you. I tend to get irritated when my 80 foot vis turns into 80 inches because someone has no fin etiquette.....

Just asking a rototiller to look behind them on a dive is usually enough (in my experience). If you add the "look at me, this frogkick-thing will make sure THAT doesen´t happen"-signs, then the problem is usually solved...taking 5 mins out of a dive to get it right is acceptable to me...if that doesen´t work I make sure I lead the dive (my viz wont be ruined), talk about it on the surface and if that doesen´t help then I´ll dive with someone else the next dive...

For hoovers there is no easy fix (that I know of). I´ll either accept a shorter dive (if I know beforehand) or politely ask them to buddy up with someone with a more similar airconsumption...

I too hate having quality viz ruined (though 80ft is almost unheard of here)...my experience has been that most people on "quality dives" have good finetiquette (like that word btw...finetiquette)...maybe it´s a regional thing or just pure luck...

erm, I often carry a snorkel with me, especially if I'm doing boat dives with a group.
I get really badly seasick, and am pretty effficient kitting up, buddy checking and getting in the darn water asap, that I often end up waiting 5-10 minutes for the others in a group to get in.
am I going to use my tank air in slightly choppy water? am I going to swallow loads of water? am I heck. snorkle it is.
or shore dives where you have a 5-10minute swim at surface. face down, snorkle in, occasional look up to orientate. lovely. then still 60+minutes dive time.

and why on earth do we insist on wearing black or blue? I would love for my buddy to be day-glo u/water!

grazie42:
Ok...don´t want to get accused of snorcle envy :11:
I do have one...somewhere...I bought it on sale right after I failed to find my old one...I cant really remember what colour it is but I´m pretty sure it had some day-glo orange stuff...does that qualify :06:

Just asking a rototiller to look behind them on a dive is usually enough (in my experience). If you add the "look at me, this frogkick-thing will make sure THAT doesen´t happen"-signs, then the problem is usually solved...taking 5 mins out of a dive to get it right is acceptable to me...if that doesen´t work I make sure I lead the dive (my viz wont be ruined), talk about it on the surface and if that doesen´t help then I´ll dive with someone else the next dive...

For hoovers there is no easy fix (that I know of). I´ll either accept a shorter dive (if I know beforehand) or politely ask them to buddy up with someone with a more similar airconsumption...

I too hate having quality viz ruined (though 80ft is almost unheard of here)...my experience has been that most people on "quality dives" have good finetiquette (like that word btw...finetiquette)...maybe it´s a regional thing or just pure luck...

LOL - 80' isn't that common here either, which is why I really have to have it mucked up. :)

I've worked with a few rototillers in the way you mentioned. Sometimes it helps a bit, but some people are not able to pick up the frog-kick technique quickly enough.

A friend of mine (who shall of course remain nameless) rototilled massively on the top deck of a wreck with me this summer. I showed him what he'd done. Then just last week he and a guy we call "pig pen" completely silted out another wreck and almost didn't find their way back to the boat. Sure glad it wasn't me with those two... of course, I wouldn't even have gone into the area that they did...

Hoovers, there's sometimes not much hope for. They'd better tell me about it and have a nice big redundant air supply.

So this, and a few other scary dive stories, is why I "audition" my buddies.

Aside: when you guys say "frog kick" do you mean skull kicking?
Ex. Fins in normal horizontal position(short axis not long axis), spread legs keeping fins in horizontal position, turn fins vertically, bring legs back together. This should propel you foward.
I was taught to do this to avoid silting and scaring aquatic animals.

Yeah that's pretty much it.. there are some subtleties to it that people miss when not shown how to do it.. ah.. 'properly'. For example, unless you're almost perfectly horizontal and keep the knees up, it's not a very efficient kick.

Interesting that some people call it a "frog kick". Frogs don't do anything remotely close to skulling. I've tried kicking like a frog with my fins on: result=bad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom