Macro lenses for the EPL1?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deeper thoughts

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Can anyone suggest which macro lenses work with the EPL1. I was looking at the Panasonic but it seems pretty expensive. Any other suggestions
Thnx all

I'm sure that Thom wasn't considering underwater use, however, he specifically does NOT recommend that lens. Here's a link to his take on a handful of the m43 lenses.

Short Reviews of Micro4/3 Lenses by Thom Hogan

Quick snippet for those who are link averse:

An expensive, dedicated macro lens. I wanted to like this lens, but I kept finding that it didn't live up to my expectations in a couple of areas. Optically, it's excellent. I had no problems with it in this arena, and it produces excellent macro results, too. The problem is focus. It's a slow-to-focus lens in my experience, and a tempremental one when used with continuous autofocus.

I ended up going with the Oly macro adapter and Inon UCL-165 macro lens.

I'm sure that Thom wasn't considering underwater use, however, he specifically does NOT recommend that lens. Here's a link to his take on a handful of the m43 lenses.

Short Reviews of Micro4/3 Lenses by Thom Hogan

Quick snippet for those who are link averse:

An expensive, dedicated macro lens. I wanted to like this lens, but I kept finding that it didn't live up to my expectations in a couple of areas. Optically, it's excellent. I had no problems with it in this arena, and it produces excellent macro results, too. The problem is focus. It's a slow-to-focus lens in my experience, and a tempremental one when used with continuous autofocus.

I ended up going with the Oly macro adapter and Inon UCL-165 macro lens.

Thnx.

Go to this link and page 5. There are some sample shots with the 45mm that look really good to me. Its on a pana body

here

Go to this link and page 5. There are some sample shots with the 45mm that look really good to me. Its on a pana body

here

Those pix look fantastic!. It make me really consider that lens

While I agree that the Panasonic 45 macro is a very sharp lens it has issues. First is that it is slow to focus and if used with the stock Olympus port the lens sits over two inches back inside the port when fully extended. For that reason I would only recommend the lens if it were being used with the ZEN Underwater port ($399.00) which is designed for that lens and is coming soon. Olympus also has a 50 mm macro on the 2011 roadmap for release by spring. That lens should sell for much less because it will work with the image stabilization built into the E-PL1 body unlike the Pany lens where it is built into the lens.

Phil Rudin

Phil -- will the 50 mm macro work with the "standard" flat plate or the Zen dome or both?

While I agree that the Panasonic 45 macro is a very sharp lens it has issues. First is that it is slow to focus and if used with the stock Olympus port the lens sits over two inches back inside the port when fully extended. For that reason I would only recommend the lens if it were being used with the ZEN Underwater port ($399.00) which is designed for that lens and is coming soon. Olympus also has a 50 mm macro on the 2011 roadmap for release by spring. That lens should sell for much less because it will work with the image stabilization built into the E-PL1 body unlike the Pany lens where it is built into the lens.

Phil Rudin

Thnx I will wait.

Phil -- will the 50 mm macro work with the "standard" flat plate or the Zen dome or both?
It would be unbelievable if Olympus didn't plan for this obviously useful U/W lens in their port design for their housing since they knew the lens was coming a long time ago. But stranger things have happened.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom