Macro lenses for the EPL1?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello Nili,

With the M4/3 system you have two options, #1 using macro lenses not designed for the M43 system with an adapter or #2 using macro lenses made for M43.

With option #1 you have two more choices, #1 using the lenses in auto focus and #2 using the lenses with a manual focus gear. With option #1 auto focus tends to be SLOW, "hunting" for the subject. With the adapter for Olympus 4/3 lens, those macro lenses made for the Olympus DSLR cameras like the E-520, E-30 and E-5 you have two choices again. #1 the 50mm macro (one of the best macro lenses made) and #2 the under $200.00 35mm macro which has great image quality for the price. Both of these lenses can be used with the same adapter and if used in manual focus both could be used with the 1.4 and 2X tele converters. To do this you would need the proper port length and gears for each combination. You can also find adapters for just about any brand of lens so you could add say a Nikon 105 or a Canon 100 if you could find a port and focus gear to match. From a practical stand'point the Olympus 50mm F/2 makes the most sence to me because I owned the lens for years and I know how good it is. Keep in mind that this lens goes to 1:2 on the M43 sensor not 1:1 so max magnifaction is about the same as 35mm.

To me the better choice is the Panasonic 45mm macro which is designed for M4/3 cameras. If you are building a system you should be building it around the highest quality glass you can afford. Camera bodies will come and go but the glass is what determins how good the image quality will be, all things being equal. So if you own an E-PL1 now with a 14-42 kit zoom and you move to the new E-M5 with the same lens, chances are image quality will go down not up because of the quality of that lens. With the 45 macro image quality is going to get better because of the much higher quality lens. I would also think about holding out for the Olympus 60mm macro for M43 which will be coming in the next few months. This lens should fit existing ports and will have improved auto focus. Both the Pana 45 and the coming Oly 60 macro will get you to 1:1. The 14-42 will get you to about 1:2 with a closeup lens, this would not be my first choice but if it is what you can afford it is not too bad for the price and better than the kit zoom from Panasonic.

Phil Rudin

Hi Phil,
Further to your comments on a len's ability to function better when attached to a camera of higher quality, how do you rate the 45mm Panasonic when attached to the EM-5? In the past you have commented that it, the 45mm, is a bit slow in the auto focus department but that is a product of the camera and not the lens, so how does the 45 perform when attached to the EM-5 and also for comparisons sake the EPL-3 compared to the EPL-1 which is the subject of this thread?
Thanks for taking the time,
Bruce

Attached to the E-M5 both the camera and the Panasonic 45mm macro are pro quality. The lens will focus faster on the E-PL3 than on the 1 however proper equipment will offer best results. If you are going to use this lens you realy need to invest in a quality port like the ZEN Underwater port for the Olympus PEN and E-M5 housings or the Nauticam 45 macro for the Panasonic and Olympus M4/3 housings from Nauticam.

Phil Rudin

Great to read I've already the EM5 and the 45 mm Panasonic , no problem with the autofocus , very sharp lense . I'm waiting now for the housing .
Perhaps should you have a look to Alex Mustard reviews Olympus OM-D E-M5 :: Wetpixel.com (this has already be indicated by Phil )
Note that I normally own a Nikon D90 with 60 mm AFD , 85 mm Afs and 105 mm AFD .. I'm moving to a much more light set :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom