Madison Blue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerroneFord:
Are there decent places to tie off? I guess I could use it to work on my navigation skills.

How much room floor to ceiling?

The cavern is a horseshoe shape I can't recall ever being over on the main cavern side (right side); only on the side through the rabbit hole (left side). There is actually a permanent cavern line, which throws a lot of the cave divers. It will be on the left wall as you go in the cavern, or on the right wall as you go in the rabbit hole. If you find a line, that's going to be the one, because if you find the main cave line you'll already -know- you're beyond where you're supposed to be (it's at about 60').

Depth of the ceiling of the big entrance on the right is an inconvenient 21'. The ceiling inside the left cavern through the rabbit hole is closer to 30'. The floor on that side is about 38' or so. On the rightside of the left cavern, the floor slopes down to an opening that is about 50' deep and opens into a room that has cave passage going off of it as well. That room may be out of ambient light from the rabbit hole however.

Thanks Jeff. I've actually taken cave, but I don't intend to explore out of the cavern zone at the moment. The depth info is helpful, and I am sure you understand why. Twenty one feet eh? Hmmmm... :) I have a feeling that staying pinned 1ft beyond depth isn't going to cause too big a problem for 5-10 minutes.

PerroneFord:
Thanks Jeff. I've actually taken cave, but I don't intend to explore out of the cavern zone at the moment.

*nod*, but since the thread is a 'cavern' theme, I wanted to be clear. I know I've completely lost sense of paying attention to 'cavern zone', so you might have also.

I had forgotten to answer 'tie offs'. Aside of the cavern line, there's quite a few boulders around the cave especially near the outside walls. Back towards the true cave entrance [and sign] are quite a number of large boulders (the slope down to the mainline is pretty much a big rockpile).

Twenty one feet eh? Hmmmm... :) I have a feeling that staying pinned 1ft beyond depth isn't going to cause too big a problem for 5-10 minutes.

It's actually a nice basin to deco in anyway, but I just had an urge to be lazy one day and figured that out. Most of my deco time is spent collecting scrunchees, loose change, and filling "Can you find my sunglasses?" orders placed as I got in the water.

LOL, I had a "Hey, I dropped my goggles" request yesterday at Ginnie. We had already done our shallow stop, but the extra two minutes cruising around was pleasant enough... And she was cute. :)

Thanks for the info on the tie-offs.

Anyone gonna be there on Thursday for a cavern dive (or two)? Slight possibility I could make it down there... my other choice for diving is an artificial reef off of Myrtle Beach. Egh.

-Nick

No takers on Madison Blue, maybe Peacock on Thursday? Only cavern certified, but I'd rather do that than an ocean dive (even if its 2 hours further away).

-Nick

Sorry man, I'm off Friday, but working Thursday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom