Magnitude 6.8 - NEGROS - CEBU REGION, PHILIPPINES

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Philippines issues local tsunami alert after quake hits between islands

A 6.8-magnitude earthquake struck Monday off the third-largest island in the Philippines, prompting the country to issue a tsunami alert for the coastlines near the epicenter.

The quake struck about 11:49 a.m. (10:49 p.m. Sunday ET) about 70 kilometers (44 miles) from the coastal city of Dumaguete on the Philippine island of Negros, the USGS said.

The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology issued a level 2 tsunami alert for areas along the Tanon Strait between Negros and the neighboring island of Cebu.

That's a notch below the highest tsunami alert of level 3, which requires evacuation of the affected areas, a spokeswoman for the institute said.

She said the institute was advising people to watch out for unusual waves and to stay away from the shoreline.
No tsunami warning was issued for the wider Pacific region and there was no tsunami threat to Hawaii, the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said.

I was at my beach house at the time and I could see the columns moving.

Like a dumb ass I went down to the beach to see if there were any big waves.

I've seen one report on local news of a child killed by a collapsing wall. No other mention of casualites.

Schools and govt buildings have closed.

There have been aftershocks.

I didn't feel anything in Manila

[video=youtube;_7eA8-65YJk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7eA8-65YJk[/video]

I found this video online.

The warning turned into a full scale rumor that a big tsunami was heading towards Cebu City.

Everyone tried to head for the hills or went onto the roofs of buildings.

394115_2551185385846_1440229738_31865456_544648441_n.jpg

This guys is prepared for the tsunami !

I'm getting texts from Moalboal that there was a tsunami there. People from Poblacion West and probably the beach evacuated to Bugho. Everyone I know is safe so far, but if anybody has up to date reliable information, it would be appreciated.

There was a small Tsunami several dive boats were damaged, I have heard conflicting reports on diver injuries, but there is no substantial damage in Moalboal. My boat Captain told me that the wave hit very soon after the quake. Fortunately my boat is fine, as for me I was in the city and felt it there.

Back
Top Bottom