Maintaining my eLED

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TravelDave

Contributor
Reaction score
I just got a c8 eLED light and am looking forward to using it next week. The instructions didn't say much about taking care of it (such as whether I need to lube the O-rings). Any advice?

Also do I need to carry it on the plane or should it be safe in my gear bag that is checked?

Dave

Be carefull not to get the cloth hooked on the LED terminals when you wipe the reflective surface clean. That's about it, lube the O-ring. Oh, store it open. There are some reports that moisture buildup cause the light to turn on.........

The eLED shouldn't require any special maintenance. Treat it like any other dive light. Just keep the O-Ring lightly lubed with Silicone O-Ring grease (avoid the spray type, and NEVER use a petrolium based lube) and keep it clean and dry inside and it should give you many years of good service.

As for packing; one of the benefits of the LED light engine is its long life and high durability. You can pack the light wherever you feel comfortable since the LED is about as shock-proof as anything can get.

Aloha, iG

If you live in a humid area or are travelling extensively with one, it's better to store the light sealed up, with a dessicant pack inside rather than leave it open. In other words, you treat it like an underwater camera.

As for airport security, they might not notice the light so much (unless it's a can light), but large batteries clustered together scare them. I've had to open up my lights on a few occasions and show them the batteries. I now pack the batteries separate from the flashlight, and am screened less.

If you store it for any length of time, like over the winter, store it closed (as already mentioned). However, I would like to add that you should not keep the light head screwed on fully tightened if it's going to sit for a while.

I had to throw away a C8 this spring. The head got so locked onto the body over the winter, that I actually snapped the handle right off the light trying to loosen it. Even that didn't budge it!

It was no big deal as I had my sights on the new eLED version anyway, but wouldn't want that to happen to the new ones.

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom