MAKE-up and DIVING

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Danny Valerio:
I don't personally wear makeup when diving, but then again I don't wear fancy work out clothes or perfume to the gym either.
WEaring makeup doesn't make any sense to me when you are doing anything that makes you sweat. I don't wear makeup hardly ever but I would never wear it diving. What if it got in your eyes and messed up your vision while you were diving. It seems a little irresponsible. It is diving in the water?? SO water washes off makeup so why waste it. Good makeup isn't cheap. I would personally avoid it but to each thier own just be careful for yourselfs.

Bridget

H2Andy:
hmmm.... nope, i said "life partner" (meaning my wife),
friends, co-workers, and dive buddies"

re-read my post :wink:

I had the pleasure of meeting you and Scubaguy and Scubababe last weekend, and thought you were all just wonderful -- Andy, your eyes really are to die for, and I say that with full awareness that you had nothing to do with it, it's just one of those happy accidents of nature.

Two brief points on your comments: I love your attitude about women as friends, etc. It reminds me of my late, great, daddy, who one year was given a trophy, the Prince Charming award, from all of his wife's girlfriends. There are just some men who are very comfortable with women in all parts of their life.

Second point, I wear waterproof mascara to dive, and it is more out of concern for people who have to look at me. I have these round rabbit eyes, and am eyelash-challenged, so without mascara I have this wide-eyed-just-escaped-from-the-asylum look... not good around divers, who can be a little edgy, especially bad if you're looking for a dive buddy.

Is that so different from wanting to do one's best -- be a better diver, a smarter worker, a wiser parent, a healthier person?

For some of us, they’re all part of the same package. Self-improvement can lead to a healthy sense of pride, to self-worth and self-confidence.

Yes, society pressures women to look good. But that doesn’t mean all make-up wearers are responding to that pressure. Nor are we all insecure narcissists devoted to attracting and pleasing men. Some of us simply want to please ourselves.

DM *

* Who currently is in a light makeup phase. Frequency: approx. 3-4 times a week. Amount: Mascara, eyeliner and lipgloss. This actually is a "heavy" phase for DM, who normally wears no makeup.

divemistress:
Is that so different from wanting to do one's best -- be a better diver, a smarter worker, a wiser parent, a healthier person?

For some of us, they’re all part of the same package. Self-improvement can lead to a healthy sense of pride, to self-worth and self-confidence.

Yes, society pressures women to look good. But that doesn’t mean all make-up wearers are responding to that pressure. Nor are we all insecure narcissists devoted to attracting and pleasing men. Some of us simply want to please ourselves.

DM *

* Who currently is in a light makeup phase. Frequency: approx. 3-4 times a week. Amount: Mascara, eyeliner and lipgloss. This actually is a "heavy" phase for DM, who normally wears no makeup.

I want you and Foo to move to Canada and be my best friends! You are so sensible, confident, and insightful. I wear makeup to please myself; I didn't wear it for most of my life, and I don't wear it diving (I'd wear the waterproof mascara if I could find some that never, ever smeared).

thanks Boatlawyer! that's awfully sweet :)

and Nehallenia, i agree with you that i would love to go out and drink some beer
with Foo and Divemistress... but... i would add you to that list too!

Nehallenia:
Actually, I found that waterproof mascara DOES smear, especially in salt water. I don't put anything of my face (or the rest of my body for that matter) that might damage my very precious dive gear. I do wear minimal makeup most of the time, because I like the way it makes me look, I enhance my best features with it. However, I wear only sunscreen (this is a must since I have a skin condition called rosacea), and lip balm or moisturizing gloss while diving. It all washes off anyway. Sooner or later (if you're lucky) a guy you're involved with is going to see you without your makeup anyway - so if they've been diving with you it won't be a big surprise! All you ladies sound pretty comfortable with your looks anyway, and that is great.

The ONLY makeup i wear while diving is lipstick. I found some that actually does stay on through at least 2 dives...believe it or not. There are 2 types...max factor and cover girl. They both have a moisturizer that goes on top and they stay on all day. While I was taking the scuba classes the instructor noticed that my lipstick stayed on during the pool sessions. She even checked my regulator to see if any came off on it. At that time she didn't know me well enough to ask me about it. Since then she has also bought it. I'm very self conscious about my lips since they are very thin so I dont go out of the house without it! I know its funny!

Pam

Speaking as one of the girls who doesn't wear make-up in or out of the water, I really don't understand why one would apply it before scuba diving. What's the point? When you're under water, you're not making love connections nor are you the focal point of the dive. Everyone's attention should be on themselves to make sure that they're not doing any number of things which might jeopardize themselves or the dive, or most likely on the things in the water that one normally does not see when out of the water. I'd be more impressed with someone who acted confident and knew what they were doing as opposed to someone who didn't...but remembered to put on water proof mascarra ahead of time!

On a side note, has anyone actually looked at the models in the catalogs for the various scuba gear? No matter how attractive you might be, when you put on a wet/dry suit, a BC, boots, fins, gloves, a hood, a mask, and stick in your regulator, you look like one of the biggest dorks ever. Everyone does. Even without the hood, it's still pretty dorky, but that's what I love about the sport.

i dont usually wear make up while diving. But unless you have to take your mask off mascara and most eyeshadow wont come off. obviously the lip stuff does, though. But you never know who's going to be on the boat. All the mroe reason to wear cute bathing suits. :wink:

<33 Jess

pammyk:
The ONLY makeup i wear while diving is lipstick. I found some that actually does stay on through at least 2 dives...believe it or not. There are 2 types...max factor and cover girl. They both have a moisturizer that goes on top and they stay on all day. While I was taking the scuba classes the instructor noticed that my lipstick stayed on during the pool sessions. She even checked my regulator to see if any came off on it. At that time she didn't know me well enough to ask me about it. Since then she has also bought it. I'm very self conscious about my lips since they are very thin so I dont go out of the house without it! I know its funny!

Pam

Seriously? Hm.. I didn't realize that. I'll have to get some... Thanks for the tip.

<33 Jess

I just read in yesterdays paper that women are showing less cases of lip cancer than our fellow men and they believe this is becasue of lipstick - the fact we are choosing to buy a lipstick with 15+ sunscreen factor or more in them and we are using lip balms etc.. more regularly and protecting our lips.

As i previously posted i always wear lipstick - i have already had two small lip cancers cut from my bottom lip and never go outside without it on and since having the cancer cut out i have a slight scaring onmy lip that can'tbe seen with coloured gloss or lipstick and i hate people looking at them. Just my self conciousness (sp?) i guess.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom