MAKE-up and DIVING

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Expression of one's personal opinions and beliefs: healthy, natural, normal....

Relentless criticism of other people's opinions and attempts to control their conflicting beliefs and behaviors: arrogant, overbearing, scary.....

Surprisingly large number of derisive examples of the latter in this thread, mostly from the anti-make-up contingent.

Is this topic really so divisive?

(For the record: I NEVER wear make-up diving. I am currently in an often-wear-light-make-up-elsewhere phase. I think each woman knows how she looks her best -- some with, some without make-up. And I ALWAYS shower before exercising. Personally I think it's disgusting not to. Personally.)

Cheers, y'all.

Divemistress.

divemistress:
Expression of one's personal opinions and beliefs: healthy, natural, normal....

Relentless criticism of other people's opinions and attempts to control their conflicting beliefs and behaviors: arrogant, overbearing, scary.....

Surprisingly large number of derisive examples of the latter in this thread, mostly from the anti-make-up contingent.

Is this topic really so divisive?

(For the record: I NEVER wear make-up diving. I am currently in an often-wear-light-make-up-elsewhere phase. I think each woman knows how she looks her best -- some with, some without make-up. And I ALWAYS shower before exercising. Personally I think it's disgusting not to. Personally.)

Cheers, y'all.

Divemistress.

Very nicely said - especailly the showering thing - ASB

divemistress:
And I ALWAYS shower before exercising. Personally I think it's disgusting not to.

egads, do you mean "before" or did you mean to say "after?"

i never shower before excercising. is this a woman thing?

H2Andy:
well... it sounds stilted, but the sentiment is true. there's
a lot of pressure on women to look good, as if their entire
value depended on what they look like.

not so.

well, at least not to me.

that's what i was trying to convey.

Andy, I am in total agreement with you; I share the sentiment. I was just busting your chops my brother, mainly because you referred to women as your partners in life, etc., in plural, where as for me, my wife is all of that. She is gorgeous and while, IMHO, she doesn't need make up, she prides herself in looking her best at all times, which for me, as scubaluv said, is a reflection of her inner self and her personality. That is something in which she has my full and undivided support.

Whether women feel the need to wear make up, and whether that extends to the sport we love, it's their choice, and personally, I would hope none of them is ever made to feel, by anyone, they should, or should not have to wear make up to enjoy an activity where wearing make up would be otherwise required.

Scubaguy62:
I was just busting your chops my brother, mainly because you referred to women as your partners in life, etc., in plural, where as for me, my wife is all of that.

hmmm.... nope, i said "life partner" (meaning my wife),
friends, co-workers, and dive buddies"

re-read my post :wink:

Exercising without showering first makes me feel sticky and dirty and icky. Exercising after showering makes me feel sweet and clean, and virtuous when I do break a sweat.

Showering after exercising, especially with great-smelling soap, makes me feel like dancing. :dazzler1:

Divemistress

H2Andy:
egads, do you mean "before" or did you mean to say "after?"

i never shower before excercising. is this a woman thing?

Firediver:
Why do you put on make up when you are planning to scuba dive?? it's either going to get washed off, wiped in your gear.. or just messed up.. ie mascara.. water proof or not. I don't understand why??? Maybe cause I am a tom-boy and just to see the purpose of the stuff............

But have you ever thought of getting a BP and wings?

divemistress:
Exercising without showering first makes me feel sticky and dirty and icky. Exercising after showering makes me feel sweet and clean, and virtuous when I do break a sweat.

Showering after exercising, especially with great-smelling soap, makes me feel like dancing. :dazzler1:

Divemistress

well i definetely got to try it

Hmmm....showering before exercising......
well, there's always something new to try! lol

of course I never exercise.........

scbababe:
Back to the beginning with this issue! waterproof mascara does not smear! I'm glad to hear we have so many beautiful aw-natural or tom-boy, responders here..that's GREAT! :dazzler1:

Those like the thread starter who have never worn or are not acustomed to wearing make-up will never relate, please understand that! Like I've posted before, make-up and diving not everyone can get away with it.

However, I can! and I'm proud of it. As long as I can afford to have lip gloss and mascara I will not go out without it! For all of us that dive know that one must remove the lipstick when applying the regulator to ones beautiful lips!(lol) :dazzler1: Maybe, not by just anyone but Make up and Diving, It can be done!

Actually, I found that waterproof mascara DOES smear, especially in salt water. I don't put anything of my face (or the rest of my body for that matter) that might damage my very precious dive gear. I do wear minimal makeup most of the time, because I like the way it makes me look, I enhance my best features with it. However, I wear only sunscreen (this is a must since I have a skin condition called rosacea), and lip balm or moisturizing gloss while diving. It all washes off anyway. Sooner or later (if you're lucky) a guy you're involved with is going to see you without your makeup anyway - so if they've been diving with you it won't be a big surprise! All you ladies sound pretty comfortable with your looks anyway, and that is great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom