Making a blackout mask for zero vis training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

… The instructor said it would expose claustrophobia and prepare us for diving calmly in low-vis.

Claustrophobia is interesting. In the Navy Scuba class just before mine a submarine qualified candidate, from diesel boats no less, washed out because he got claustrophobic when they bolted him into a deep sea/heavy gear hat with painted/blacked out windows — a standard pre-acceptance test. I was fixing a radio nearby (they called the divers intercom a radio because it looked like something the family gathered around in the 1920s). He didn’t even get in the water. I couldn’t hear what he said, but they sat him down and unscrewed the hat. He was breathing really hard and sweating, but far from out of control.

I am not sure if a sub-qualified candidate getting claustic was a first-time event in Navy Diving history, but damn unusual at the very least. I always wondered if they let him back on the boats after that or if maybe it was a subconscious reason he left.

I remember my first, and thus far only, experience with claustrophobia. I was maybe 6 years old and my brothers rolled me up in an old rug. I started to freak when I heard them laughing. Possibly out of “little brother” stubbornness, I figured out that I wasn’t going to die or give them the satisfaction. The dread immediately melted away, I quit yelling, and waited for them to unroll me — hoping all the time they were horribly disappointed. I guess it cured me.

Just curious, what do they teach regarding buddy divers in black water? We were on a hose with comms so it was never an issue. Also, what kind of information can you gather brail diving?

For the overhead wreck or cave penetration diver it is possible to be lost off the guideline in a lights out or silt-out situation. Black out mask training allows the student to practice the proper techniques to use a safety spool to locate the primary or permanent guideline and negotiate a safe exit. The need for maintaining a continuous guideline past any jumps or gaps to open water becomes reinforced during such training. Teams learn to make safe exits in silt-out or lights out situations involving touch contact and gas sharing.

In open water technical diving, blacked out masks also allow students to train for any situation that would create zero visibility and practice strategies to maintain a team or allow for individual action.

Typical communication for such training is the ability to communicate, "Go forward", "Back up", "Hold", "Out of gas", "Stuck", "Entangled", "Cross line", "Go up/add gas", "Go down/dump gas", "Level off", "Deco", and to understand a myriad of hand signals by feel.

A diver with no mask may be lead by a diver with a mask, or two divers without the ability to see may need to follow line and environmental cues to return home.

In a worst case deco scenario of two divers with no masks, divers may be taught to become aware of environmental cues such as cave features or anchor line characteristics to indicate depths at which they will need to stop and deco during a return. Decompression may be counted off in one's head like, One-Mississippi ... Two Mississippi," as we used in backyard football. A knotted line with a DSMB may also be deployed to indicate depth.

... We do a lot of scientific diving in blackout conditions and…

For the overhead wreck or cave penetration diver...

I was actually curious about what the scientific community’s objectives were in black water. Don’t get me wrong, I am a great believer in black water training even if you never leave crystal clear tropics.

I was actually curious about what the scientific community’s objectives were in black water. Don’t get me wrong, I am a great believer in black water training even if you never leave crystal clear tropics.

You never know when a project will dictate a dive site with black out (or near blackout) conditions.
An example would be diving under a wharf at night with massive amounts of detritus cycling around you.
Sometimes day to day conditions and a deadline just dictates diving in crummy conditions. Better to be trained in all sorts of possible local dive conditions that don't require a specialized certification. PADI cards excluded. :wink:

Hi all, I am currently rigging up a few of my dive locker's masks up to be dedicated "Blackout" masks. We do a lot of scientific diving in blackout conditions and using these masks allows for these conditions to be simulated safely with complete supervision. [snip] Lets see if anyone has a novel solution.
They won't create blackness, but shower caps are easy to toss over the head and mask to create an opaque (zero viz) barrier. You get to use your own mask, there's no mess, you can do it to each other on the fly, and stopping the drill is easy.

-Bryan

Most the training we do is for maritime archaeology and a lot of wrecks are in shallow black water, especially those found in SE rivers. My colleagues tell me that mapping a wreck in these conditions really is "Braille Diving." You can however, map a wreck with reasonable accuracy in these conditions using various baseline mapping techniques and enough time. Positive buddy contact is sustained compliments of the tape measure. Pre dive communication is essential and every inch of vis goes a long way. (Disclaimer: most of my experience has been on projects with relatively good vis. I'll get back to you after this upcoming field season).

Back
Top Bottom