Making a blackout mask for zero vis training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beemes

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all, I am currently rigging up a few of my dive locker's masks up to be dedicated "Blackout" masks. We do a lot of scientific diving in blackout conditions and using these masks allows for these conditions to be simulated safely with complete supervision. Ok, so right now I'm using a patchwork of duct tape to line the inside of the lens. It works, but pinholes of light keep popping up around the seams. I'm thinking of coating the seams with wax (surfwax? could this irritate a divers eyes?) around the perimeter of the lens to keep the tape from lifting up. Lets see if anyone has a novel solution to :cool2:

My cave instructor put a heavy level of duct tape on the outside of the mask for this. He put on strips that were longer than the width of the mask and folded them over. This created "handles" so that a diver who panics can end the drill by ripping off the duct tape. Although that was never a problem with me or anyone else I saw use it, I think it is an important safety feature.

Little pinholes of light are unimportant and do not effect the level of challenge for the diver. The idea is not so much to create a true blackout as to make sure the diver is unable to see anything. The blackout mask I had in cave training had translucent seals that allowed a little light in. That light was of no help to me in doing the skills.

I used tape on the outside. Ive heard foil works well too.

When assisting my instructor with AOW classes, we always used several overlapping layers of duct tape. Holds up surprisingly well to repeated usage.

I bought a box of shop rags for working in the garage. They are medium grade, soft cloth cut like an oversized wash cloth. When I got my mask, I tossed a clean one in my mask box for wiping down before storage and for scratch control. You could easily drap that over the front of a mask and put a big rubber band around it. Similar to the tape solution which can be removed fairly quickly if you need to end training, but without the sticky mess.

I just cut up a few of the Fin inserts that come with new fins, and stick them in the mask. Pop in and out easy enough and block all kinds of light.

Some plastic or foil, and tape on outside instead.

Doggy Poopoo picker upper bags
Get it wet, stick it inside your mask and pop those babies on.

No glue, no tape, no mess, no fuss. And it works with clear skirts too.

Make sure the bags are unused :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom