Making my own springstraps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brandnew

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm planning on making a pair of springstraps for my new drysuit fins (slingshots that I was given) and had a couple of question on materials.

I was planning on using anchor shackles to attach the spring to the fins, what is a good way to prevent the bolt on the shackle from coming undone when I don't want it to? I was thinking locktight but I'm not sure if this stuff holds up to water.

Next question, does anyone know what size shackle for this type of fin?

Thank you for any advice

Last edited:
By the way....if you are unsure that you really want spring straps, just get a couple of bungees with hooks, cut to fit the bungee, burn and retie the loose ends. Attach to your fins with a pair of channel lock pliers. I did that and have been using them that way for 3 years now with no problems. I put the extra pieces in my save-a-dive kit.

c

I'm planning on making a pair of springstraps for my new drysuit fins (slingshots that I was given) and had a couple of question on materials.

I was planning on using anchor shackles to attach the spring to the fins, what is a good way to prevent the bolt on the shackle from coming undone when I don't want it to? I was thinking locktight but I'm not sure if this stuff holds up to water.

Next question, does anyone know what size shackle for this type of fin?

Thank you for any advice

I made some for my fins last year using stainless mini shackles from Home Depot. I replaced the shackle pins with stainless machine screws and used blue loctite to ensure they stay put. I used stainless springs from McMaster Carr and covered them with tube webbing (instead of the poly tubing some people use). I ended up making a set for my wife too (she wanted some after seeing mine) - we're both very pleased with them.

Sorry I can't help you with what size you'll need, just find some that fit the posts on your fins.

PB040001_resize.JPG

PB040003_resize.JPG

Last edited:
I checked out McMaster Carr website and the choices in springs is overwhelming.
I'd like to build a set for my XL rocket fins to use with regular tropical booties.
Any help in choosing the correct size springs would be greatly appreciated.

Worth pointing that Pirahna has them for $17.00 or something like that.

I checked out McMaster Carr website and the choices in springs is overwhelming.
I'd like to build a set for my XL rocket fins to use with regular tropical booties.
Any help in choosing the correct size springs would be greatly appreciated.

The springs that I used are #3932K54 which are 1/2" OD and 11" long. They're $5.14 each. I wear 3mm "tropical" boots also. I did shorten the springs slightly for my wife's fins, but used them full-length on mine (I wear a 10 shoe).

Those are pretty nifty, Daz!

Back
Top Bottom