Making my own springstraps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm planning on making a pair of springstraps for my new drysuit fins (slingshots that I was given) and had a couple of question on materials.

I was planning on using anchor shackles to attach the spring to the fins, what is a good way to prevent the bolt on the shackle from coming undone when I don't want it to? I was thinking locktight but I'm not sure if this stuff holds up to water.

Next question, does anyone know what size shackle for this type of fin?

Thank you for any advice

For my anchor shackle (which is actually attached to my anchor) I use a few inches of stainless steel wire, go through the hole in the screw part and wrap it around the shackle. This might be a little awkward for a fin but perhaps a small, black nylon cable tie would to the trick. Make sure it's UV resistant and not a HF "Storehouse" tie.

Agree 100%. I've been using bungees for a few years. They're cheaper and easier to don/remove than traditional spring straps.
Aloha Shore Divers
DSCF2972.jpg

I just used this method (rather similar) and love it. I could not get the bungee looped like on your site (too tight), but just tied very tight over hand knots in the ends.

Thank you.

Hi all,

I did this project a couple years ago:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/do-yourself-diy/243387-jet-fin-spring-straps.html

I ended up buying a spring kit about 6 months later for 30ish dollars at another LDS (prices for these things seem to vary wildly). Why? little things like a line inside to prevent over extension, better clasps, and I broke one of my DIY straps. It was a fun project but I would rather have back the dive I missed because of a failure than the couple of bucks I saved.

built a set today for a friends jet fins. $4.90 for the pair. springs,tubing and cord. pics to follow

I just used this method (rather similar) and love it. I could not get the bungee looped like on your site (too tight), but just tied very tight over hand knots in the ends.

Thank you.
When I replaced my bungees last time I just looped them through and tightened a cable tie around the bungee. It's even simpler than the tying method. The best thing about using bungees, besides the price, is that they make it easier to remove your fins than spring straps are.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom