Making Steel Doubles as Buoyant as Possible

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaveSloth

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Looking for ways to reduce the negative buoyancy of my LP85 doubles rig so that I could swim them up from the bottom if need be in a wet suit.

I can switch to an aluminum backplate to save 3 lbs.

Can I switch out the bands, bolts, d-rings, buckles, etc... to save some weight?

Is there any permanent, unobtrusive way to add buoyancy like some kind of air bladder in the space between the tanks which cannot be punctured?

I will get a drysuit eventually!

Switch to aluminum tanks. At depth, your wetsuit may have little to no buoyancy. Using a wing or liftbag to ascend is asking for an embolism.

The photographer folks use crush resilient (expensive) foam as buoyancy in their camera rigs. I'd look at options that they use. You could put it between the tanks. OMS makes anodized aluminum D-rings etc. Or go to sidemount with a dual bladder BC....

A redundant bcd is a better solution but specifically to do what you're wanting... Strap on a capped section of ABS septic pipe like a pony bottle. Each litre is +2.2lbs buoyancy.

Another option is honestly looking at how much you can realistically swim up in case of a complete bcd failure early in the dive.

Cameron

Empty them?

Heliox! And you’ll never get narc’d either!

Back
Top Bottom