Making Steel Doubles as Buoyant as Possible

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK so a question about aluminum tanks...

If I dive AL80s I will need to wear ditchable weight. With a backplate and wing, what are my options aside from a weight belt? Pockets attached to my harness?

I just hate wearing weight belts guys. The shits irritate my nerves in my hips.

You could use a V-weight between your AL doubles, which is pretty standard. That might be enough or you could also have trim weight pockets on your cam-bands, like the XS Scuba ones. You could wear a weight harness if you need to. You may not need a weight belt at all.

I just hate wearing weight belts guys. The shits irritate my nerves in my hips.

What is the *lightest* weight belt you’ve worn? If your experience is with 12+ pound belts, I fully agree with you. They suck hard. Weight belts for a gender that usually doesn’t have curves and while wearing 14mm of highly compressible material where you’re supposed to tighten the thing is stupid. I only use 10 pounds when diving dry (with HP100 doubles), but I still use a DUI weight harness!

When diving wet with double AL80’s in salt water, I need 4 pounds. I usually use a really old ghetto weight harness for that, too! (It’s basically a pocket weight belt with shoulder straps.). But I have done a weight belt for that with much less issue. 2 X 2 pounders centered in the center of my back, it’s like a v-weight, but I can get it on any boat and use with rented tanks and not put in luggage.

And seriously, you really should only need a few pounds! Try a weight belt with such a small amount of weight, on your back, not your hips: it very well may work fine.

But if it doesn’t, then so what? Keep working the problem: there’s plenty of real, tested solutions. A half-dozen people have suggested harnesses. Like I said: full DUI harness for me for double-digit loads, and pocket belt with straps for travel.

V-weights exist for a reason. *Tail* weights are popular, too: they help to counteract the floaty. I’ve never used them: I’m not sure how they work when you’re trying to put your gear in a tank rack. (I do a lot of boat diving.) Weights in pockets on tank bands are an easy to move compromise.

Personally, I think putting weight on your BP waist strap is silly, not least because it’s annoying to deal with on a boat. It’s undeniably logical and convenient, but it makes trying to find your straps hard when cheek to jowl with the nearest diver and your doubles in a rack on a rolling boat... tricky. They tend to run away. But it’s only like 4 pounds: if it makes you happy, go for it.

That’s like a half-dozen tried and tested ways of adding weight. Only one is a weight belt. Keep working the problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom