Making Steel Doubles as Buoyant as Possible

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GH2tIBE.jpg

OK so a question about aluminum tanks...

If I dive AL80s I will need to wear ditchable weight. With a backplate and wing, what are my options aside from a weight belt? Pockets attached to my harness?

I just hate wearing weight belts guys. The shits irritate my nerves in my hips.

I use XDeep pockets on my harness. No problems with them with wetsuit. Tecline has a real dropable pocket system.

I don't do weight belts as I have no hips to keep them in place. I have been using the XS Scuba weight pockets on my harness for quite some time now. I do not like all the "drop system" weight pockets. Something designed to release just may decide to do it when I didn't want it to. It is not too hard to open a pocket and remove a weight...

YMMV.

I switched my horizontal pockets on my bc to vertical over my kidneys. I was inspired by the weight location on the rogue i was renting.

Trim is great and surface was easier as well. but im considering a bungee between the pocket and my bc just in case one ever decides to drop out on its own. 1 little step if i ever need to actually drop but not give up the good trim.

OK so a question about aluminum tanks...

If I dive AL80s I will need to wear ditchable weight.
Why is that? If you balance your rig you will be able to swim it up at any point in the dive. When I use doubles I have a V-weight between the tanks. AL8os will be buoyant at the surface.

This is purely anecdotal, of course, but while I really get the urge after some 45-ish minutes if I'm diving wet, I usually have no problems holding it for an hour's dive in a drysuit. At least if I make sure to take a leak shortly before zipping up and don't overdo that hydration thing. I believe it's because I'm warmer in a drysuit, so there's less immersion diureses happening. I have the same issue about having to go after some 45-ish minutes wearing swimming trunks in the pool, BTW.
I've had the exact same experience. I pee like a racehorse constantly in a wetsuit. I had a pee valve installed in my drysuit but after the first couple dives I stopped bothering with connecting it up. I just don't feel the need to go when diving dry.

I don’t have a p-valve on my Drysuit and it is yet to be a problem. The “wet” part of the wetsuit diving is what triggers the urge to pee.

I use a combination of trim pockets and a belt all ditchable when diving wet. For diving dry, I use a DUI weight harness for Drysuit diving. The weights are supported by the harness and not the hips. Really the only time I feel the belt is out of the water

The key concept here is to have a redundant method of buoyancy. Your wing/BCD is pretty much universally your primary. If it fails, how do you plan on getting to and staying at the surface? Get the training.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom