Making Steel Doubles as Buoyant as Possible

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ah but then I have to solve the pee problem.
How long are your dives?

This is purely anecdotal, of course, but while I really get the urge after some 45-ish minutes if I'm diving wet, I usually have no problems holding it for an hour's dive in a drysuit. At least if I make sure to take a leak shortly before zipping up and don't overdo that hydration thing. I believe it's because I'm warmer in a drysuit, so there's less immersion diureses happening. I have the same issue about having to go after some 45-ish minutes wearing swimming trunks in the pool, BTW.

And personally I really wouldn't want to own a wetsuit which has been pissed in during every one of the last 100 dives, so if I were diving wet I'd still try to avoid warming the suit from the inside.

Well and apparently nothing but a drysuit is acceptable to the DIR / GUE crew.

GUE approved
Arm+Floats_.jpg

no matter what you do you will have on an over fill be carryinig up to 16+ lbs of gas weight change. Your only real option is to go to al tanks and hope your 400 psi weight is now neutral as far as the tanks go. even positive would be ok as long as the rig is still there too offset the positive lift. you have perhsps an option to go to a dry suit shell type or crushed type. I chose a shell suit. with min garments on it is 19 light. That handles the tank and rig weight very well. Though there are those that will disagree. I have always been told and agree with the premis of,,,,,,, If you dive doubles you dive a dry suit. Wet suits compress at depth and add to the problem of being heavy and dependant on a large wing to counter. With many dry suits you have no compression factor to comp for. Less wing work to do. you put enough air int the dry suit to remove the pinch and that is often enough to keep things stable. you can use a much smaller wing if needed and that is less bubble running from one end to the other making trim more difficult to maintain. In addition when a wing fails, which is really seldom the problem caused is equally smaller.

you have perhsps an option to go to a dry suit shell type or crushed type.
Huh? A crushed neo suit is basically a shell suit. There's virtually no insulation in crushed neo. Aren't you thinking about compressed neoprene?

Huh? A crushed neo suit is basically a shell suit. There's virtually no insulation in crushed neo. Aren't you thinking about compressed neoprene?
Yes I believe i said " you have perhaps an option to go to a dry suit shell type or crushed type. perhaps is should have added a trilam or crushed type. there are many crushed suits that are form fitting as opposed to the tent like shell suits like a TL-350.

there are many crushed suits that are form fitting as opposed to the tent like shell suits like a TL-350.
A drysuit - even a trilam should never fit like a tent. That just makes for an unmanagable bubble.

For me at least, the difference lies in whether or not the suit itself provides thermal insulation. Trilam, rubber (yes, I'm thinking of the classic Viking suit) and crushed neo: none or practically none. Ergo, shell suits. Neo and compressed neo: a noticeable amount. Ergo, not shell suits.

A drysuit - even a trilam should never fit like a tent. That just makes for an unmanagable bubble.

For me at least, the difference lies in whether or not the suit itself provides thermal insulation. Trilam, rubber (yes, I'm thinking of the classic Viking suit) and crushed neo: none or practically none. Ergo, shell suits. Neo and compressed neo: a noticeable amount. Ergo, not shell suits.
Have no idea what you are comparing...... A trilam like the 350 and a crushed neo suit are not even closely alike or related. The only thing they share in common is the name dry suit.

Double 85's are -13.4lbs full and 0 when empty. Just free flow your regs and empty the tanks (not fully as you still need to breath). You will gain close to 13.4 lbs of lift.

I looked for a "hahaha" emoji after this, assuming it's a joke. If not, it's possibly the dumbest thing I've read on SB in a while. Drain your tanks in an emergency?

When I read the OP, I thought, "Well use your wing. You're never going to make two lumps of iron "light". If that's what you want get some AL80s to start with.

The obvious and really only simple solution is a twin-bladded wing as others have pointed out. Liftbags, SMBs etc are all workable, but the easiest, simplest thing is a wing with separate bladders and inflation systems.

Having said all that, with a little careful maintenance, the odds of a total wing failure is pretty remote.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom