Making your own backplate... links please.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The top slots should be angled in such a way that the webbing follow the natural contour of the shoulders. The webbing always starts to wear on one side because of this.

The Kraken:
TwoTanks,
I'll send you an Auto-Cad file, B/P and STA

T K

I would like those as well if you don't mind. I'll pm you my email.

Thanks,
Wes

Edit: I'll wait till they are converted to PDF. I have a different cad program.

No problem.

Here is the cad file for a backplate and a STA, courtesy of The Kraken.

The file had no dimensions, so I put some dimensions on it.

I hope this is what you are looking for.

TT :wink:

That design is for a B/P that has shoulder straps that don't cross behind the neck.
If he wants a design for shoulder straps that do cross behind the neck, I'll send that one too.

Sorry about the dim's. I was fiddling around with the drawing the other day and took them off for the sake of clarity.

the K

Hop Devil:
Building a backplate in your garage is a waste of time in my opinon. Unless you have a laser cutter, 40 ton press and a bunch of other metal equipment just buy one.
If you're looking to make backpate to sell then you should design it or have someone design it. They all have their positive and negative quirks. I can't believe there is much profit margin with today's steel prices.
Alum BP are easy to make. $20 Canadian and no fancy tools. (Jigsaw and a Dremel)

No way!!!

Guys, that's brilliant!

The only things I would add would be to reduce the length of the lower slot for the shoulder strap and make it as wide as the slots near the waist and to have the bottom edges of the plate angled outwards for the comfort factor.

Other than that, the plate is damn near perfect!!!

Awesome!!

SangP

SangP,
There is a reason for the difference in widths of the webbing slots at the top and at the bottom. You don't want your harness webbing moving easily through the slots at the top because that will get your shoulder "D"rings out of place. You want your webbing to be able to move through the slots at the bottom to acommodate for differences in exposure suit thickness about the shoulders and waist.

And, as you mentioned, I've taken my plate and slightly rolled it on the bottom corners to sort of wrap around my waist and give the B/C more room for deployment.

the K

I have a freind who is an Engineer and has access to all the cutters and benders needed. he aquired a nice size piece of the same stainless that Fred T uses (I forget the numbers). He made 5 plates for him and his buddies. Beautiful job!! But afterwards we all decided that for the time and the $ it's a much better value to just buy one from someone who makes them regularly!! Fred T gets my vote!!

I like to make them for my dive buddies and special folks on the ScubaBoard. Plus, it gives vent to my creative needs and talents.
Money aint everything . . .

(But it's waaaaaaaaaaaaay ahead of whatever is in second place) :D

the K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom