Mako K15 95

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another FYI for you techs out there: The K15-12 (built during the 60's and early 70's) did, in fact, use the N70 intake filter. I dont guess there are too many of those ole beasts running around anymore tho.

I wondered who made the auto drain. It has a timer in the elec box, and used to drain every 15 min. Now it just drains sporadically if at all. Played with the timer some, but no joy. Any help appreciated as I don't trust that it is getting drained as often as they say it is...

Hello Caveman,

I'd be happy to help with this. Here's a beginner course on how that unit works, along with some tips & comments:

1. Typically, the timer is a sealed unit in a gray plastic box. This timer actuates a solenoid on the side of the ACD unit. This is an old school geared type unit. I suggest replacing with a solid state unit which can prob be gotten from Grainger.
2. Pilot air is pulled from 2nd or 3rd stage of the compressor and feeds the solenoid.
3. Inside the solenoid is a plunger. This often gets 'clogged' with muck entrained in the pilot air...and prevents the plunger from moving. It will need to be cleaned and polished back up so it slides freely. Be sure to clean the internal bore of the plunger housing too. Also, oftentimes the rubber tip on the end of the plunger rots. I have no good solution to this other than to use "island technology" to repair it.
4. When the solenoid opens, it allows air into the main cavity of the ACD in which there is a large piston. The air pushes the piston upwards which, in turn, lifts 4 small pins. These pins lift 4 small st-steel balls and open the seat so that condensate can drain thru. Several things can go awry in here:
A) Over time the piston and/or the o-ring/sealing ring (around the mid section) wear out....causing the piston to cock and stick.
B) the seats under the balls get soiled or worn. These are a polymer item. Sometimes cleaning will solve the problem but most often they must be replaced. Note that there's an o-ring under each seat.
C) Rarely but on occasion the pins corrode or bend. Try polishing them out.
5. Here is the BIGGEST problem with those ACD units: Each incoming port has a sintered filter behind the connection (captured inside the rectangular aluminum main section of the ACD). These frequently clog and must be replaced as i dont know of anyone ever having success at cleaning them. Note...these are threaded and must be unscrewed using a flat-head driver. I recommend soaking in a solvent first. Be careful that they dont crumble!
6. Lastly, i am not sure Bauer offers parts for these units any longer. We have some items in stock but its pot luck. We also have some usable recycled parts...but again, it's pot luck.

I'd caution that you disassemble slowly, noting the order of everything. Many internals are spring loaded. I may have a blow up diagram somewhere in my archives. Feel free to contact me via phone if you need more in-depth help. 800-338-5493

I have the same autodrain on my compressor and it also has an error that it does not drain properly, it gives just a little "nudge" each time it is activated. I have cleaned all the sintered filters but it did not help. I plan to pick it all apart and clean it. There is a pdf on the Bauer service and suport site named 01.02.1978-31.08.1979-K14 where there is a part list and blow up of the autodrain. Shuld have posted a url but I am not allowed before after five posts:no:.

I was told by my lokal compressor guy that Bauer do not suport parts for this anymore so if I didn`t get it fikst I have to by a new one.

Last edited:
Nordiver,
I accidentally deleted the PM you sent me with the PDF file link. Can you pls send it to me again?
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom