Mako K15 95

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is a different angle with the son's iPhone...
(The gauge below the dipstick never moves, need a new one, not sure what it should read)

Attachments

• photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 166
if that's the oil pressure gauge you better sort it out ASAP or you can set aside some money for a rebuilt, hopefully not too soon.
lack of oil pressure will ruin the pump.

First thing i think its a K15 not a K14 unit.
From the photo of the final stage the gauge centre photo is the one that shows oil pressure when running about 850psi. either you have a faulty gauge or no oil pressure.
no oil to final stage will burn out the piston linner unit.
the gauge shown on the right of photo i think is showing 3rd stage reading.
craig is the man to sort this one out but till you know you have oil pressure its safer not to run under load.
Sorry kids have been playing with my fonts again.

Fonts sorted out .
I go with craig final discharge valve faulty.
But first a few checks can easy be done.
1 remove front cover and check oil pump drive belt.
2 in the center of 4th stage cylinder head is a small acorn nut remove and under is small allen jacking screw is it make sure its down tight.
3 with all inter stage drains open run unit & check oil pressure must be 850 to 870 psi.
the oil pressure regulator is mounted on the 4th stage cylinder,To adjust pressure remove acorn cap nut & turn set screw += clockwise.
4 if 1 2 &3 check out you can now close drains and run under load to do further checks

Dang, this post brings back bad memories.:D

I experienced a similar issue on one of our K14's except my sight glass even emptied due to the bubble issue.

After a lot of assistance from Craig, windyairman, namreg and various other members here, WE - (it was a real joint effort ) eventually got it fixed and its worked perfectly ever since, the post is here - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...-blending-systems/255735-air-bubbles-oil.html

lots and lots of good info, - I hope it helps you, it certainly helped me and I have never forgotton the guys who assisted.

Fonts sorted out .
I go with craig final discharge valve faulty.
But first a few checks can easy be done.
1 remove front cover and check oil pump drive belt.
2 in the center of 4th stage cylinder head is a small acorn nut remove and under is small allen jacking screw is it make sure its down tight.
3 with all inter stage drains open run unit & check oil pressure must be 850 to 870 psi.
the oil pressure regulator is mounted on the 4th stage cylinder,To adjust pressure remove acorn cap nut & turn set screw += clockwise.
4 if 1 2 &3 check out you can now close drains and run under load to do further checks

Windy,
I don't think the K15 ever used the N-70 as an intake filter. Also, I think this might be a version that uses a chain drive for the cam-shaft that drives the oil pump. That red cap is located where chain oil would normally be added.

Caveman,
That gauge near the oil dip-stick may be there to measure crankcase pressure. Some machines were used in CNG service where it is important to keep track of pressure build up in the crankcase.

Craig

Last edited:
After much looking in old books i think i may have found the compressor type you have.
K14 from 1975 -1977 block number 527-7300 517-564.
It was the way the oil regulator faced to front of compressor that made me think it was K15 as most older k14 are fitted to the under side of the final stage.
Sorry i got it wrong. Better photos help
If it helps i can photo copy parts list if you dont have a copy [pm me]

Thanks for all the help everyone.
I am going to try all hints once I get back out there. We only open our fields on the weekends, so I will have to make some time to get there prior, but thanks, and I will report as soon as I have an outcome!

Ok, new oil press gauges, top and bottom. Cleaned check valve between the 2 filters, tightened Allen screw on top of 4th stage (not sure if it was loose as the stud would come out with the nut, but reinstalled them separately). Fired it up, set top pressure about 900 (needle vibrates some) btw, what is too much pressure? The pressure increases as air press increases. Sight tube stays clear until abt 3500 when it begins throwing a small bubble with increasing frequency as the air press increases until it's a regular dribble at 4500. But, no blowback through the case anymore! A win in my book.
The bottom oil press runs abt 30 - 35#, is that correct? Enuff?
Thanks for all of the help! Please advise if I am too high on the upper oil press.
Jim

BTW, the "manual" drain block with the 4 knobs is a very old Bauer auto drain unit. I can advise on that if need be. The machine is a K14 (mod 6)...aka K14-95 when packaged by Mako Compressors.

Back
Top Bottom