Malta Extradition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It has just been announced by a group on social media 'We Stand with Stephen Martin', and also on BSAC's Facebook page that the case against Stephen have been dropped. It was long overdue, but common sense finally prevails.

It has just been announced by a group on social media 'We Stand with Stephen Martin', and also on BSAC's Facebook page that the case against Stephen have been dropped. It was long overdue, but common sense finally prevails.

Here is the news article
http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...adite-british-scuba-diver-over-fatal-accident

Malta halts bid to extradite British scuba diver over fatal accident

Stephen Martin had been wanted for ‘involuntary homicide’ after his girlfriend and another man died near Gozo in 2014

Two scuba divers in waters near Malta. Malta’s determination to charge Stephen Martin had caused alarm and prompted threats of a boycott of the island. Photograph: Alamy
Owen Bowcott Legal affairs correspondent @owenbowcott

Monday 18 January 201609.19 ESTLast modified on Monday 18 January 201610.12

Malta has abandoned an attempt to extradite a British scuba diver whose girlfriend died in an underwater accident in order to face charges of “involuntary homicide”.

The unexpected decision by lawyers acting for the Maltese authorities came two days before a scheduled high court hearing in London at which Stephen Martin, 55, had been due to appeal against a European arrest warrant.

Last year an inquest by the Brighton and Hove coroner into the deaths of Larissa Hooley, 48, and another subaqua enthusiast, Nigel Haines, 59, off the Maltese island of Gozo in June 2014 were accidental.

Martin, an IT manager from Littlehampton, West Sussex, was the most experienced diver in the group and was therefore deemed by the Maltese prosecutor to be responsible for the welfare of his friends on the dive.

Malta’s determination to charge Martin, who tried to rescue Hooley, caused alarm among British scuba divers and prompted threats of a boycott of the Mediterranean island.

His barrister, extradition expert Ben Cooper, who appeared at an unscheduled hearing on Monday, said he was “delighted with the outcome”.

“It’s been a long ordeal for Mr Martin,” Cooper said. “He’s greatly relieved to be able to put this all behind him and to be able to travel abroad freely. Malta has withdrawn the European arrest warrant and is discontinuing the prosecution.”

Both Hooley and Haines were found to have died fromimmersion pulmonary oedema, a leakage of fluid from the bloodstream into the lungs which prevents oxygen from being absorbed. The condition is not fully understood.

Responding to the decision, Martin said: “I am overwhelmed. This has been an utter nightmare for me, and I am just so relieved it is over. I feel I can finally start grieving for Larissa and Nigel. I just can’t keep back the tears.”

The chief executive of the British Sub-Aqua Club, Mary Tetley, whose organisation had supported Martin’s fight, said the decision was “a victory for common sense”.

“This was a tragic accident and Stephen is among the many who are still grieving their loss,” she said. “It is a victory for common sense that these charges have now been dropped, allowing Stephen to move on with his life, and grieve in peace.

“We have asked the Maltese authorities for further clarification on their guidance for divers, and in the meantime we are advising divers to check the local regulations before they dive in any foreign country.”

Martin’s solicitor, Edward Elwyn Jones of the law firm Hodge Jones and Allen, said: “This brings to an end a long and painful nightmare for Stephen. He should never have been accused in the first place.

“It is rare for an extradition request to be withdrawn. Often when they are it is as a result of lobbying outside the courtroom, and BSAC are to be commended for the work they have done to highlight Stephen’s plight at the highest level.”

Well good! I can put Malta back on my long list of travel destinations.

BSAC News

This morning lawyers for BSAC member Stephen Martin were advised that all charges have been dropped by the Maltese Authorities, following a visit to the Island’s Attorney General by the British Sub-Aqua Club, last week.

It brings to an end a horrific nightmare for Stephen who could have faced up to ten years in prison if he had been found guilty in Malta.

Stephen was charged last July with two counts of involuntary homicide, following the deaths in Gozo in June 2014 of Larissa Hooley and Nigel Haines, despite the fact a UK inquest had concluded in February 2015 that they died due to a diving accident.

Speaking of his relief today Stephen said: “I am overwhelmed. This has been an utter nightmare for me, and I am just so relieved it is over. I feel I can finally start grieving for Larissa and Nigel, I just can’t keep back the tears.

“I would like to thank everyone who has supported me over the last 12 months – I have been overwhelmed by the support of divers in the UK and worldwide and for all the efforts that have been made on my behalf to get these charges overturned.

“BSAC have also been really been fantastic. It’s a great example of how they look after their members, and I can’t thank them enough.”

BSAC chief executive Mary Tetley said: “First of all I would like to extend our sympathies from all at the British Sub-Aqua Club to the families of Larissa Hooley and Nigel Haines.

“This was a tragic accident and Stephen is among the many who are still grieving their loss.

“I would like to thank the Malta Tourism Authority for facilitating the crucial meeting with the Attorney General. The decision today brings to an end the horrendous ordeal which Stephen has suffered since he was charged, and we are both delighted and relieved for him.”

Stephen’s solicitor in the UK, Edward Elwyn Jones of Hodge Jones and Allen Solicitors described the charge as “bizarre” because it was not at all clear how the Maltese authorities proposed to prove that Stephen had actually caused the deaths of Larissa and Nigel.

He said: “We received notification from the UK Crown Prosecution Service this morning that the European Arrest Warrant for Stephen Martin had been withdrawn

“I have also received notification from the Attorney General in Malta that the intended prosecution will no longer be proceeded with. This brings to an end a long and painful nightmare for Stephen.

“It is rare for an extradition request to be withdrawn. Often when they are it is as a result of lobbying outside the courtroom and BSAC are to be commended for the work they have done to highlight Stephen’s plight at the highest level.”

Stephen’s MP Sir Peter Bottomley who has also been supporting his case, said:

“I’m grateful to the Maltese Attorney General for meeting with BSAC and reviewing the case and to Stephen’s lawyer Ed Jones.

“I also pay tribute to the British Sub-Aqua club and Stephen’s lawyer Ed Jones for their efforts in this case.”

Great news

Great news. Happy ending. Funny the words of BSAC because they did not do the right things from the beginning. See for this, the start of this thread :(

Excellent news! Congratulations!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom