Mammoth lake cave system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the main question that has remained unanswered is.....who will be allowed access once it's open?

So is mammoth the kind of place where you swim and swim and swim and only see a couple things just because its so big, or is the stuff dense enough you kind of swim to one thing then go oo look over there then swim to another thing and repeat?

I've always said it would be nice if places like clear springs / athens /windy point / dam would put perminent lines between objects, Murray is kind of like that which makes it nice getting from one pile of underwater junk to another.

Then of course leave a section open for navigation and suprise finds ya know?

I agree with Fixxer on running lines. Wish they had that at cssp. I think the fear is that the noobs will get tangled on the line.

The attraction is a real enclosed area to do actual overhead obstruction diving (cave) or even running wreck skills for. Talking to Mike it runs about 175 feet in length from entrance to exit with a big opening like a cavern part way through, thus the reason for multiple paths, I won't share the surprise in this tubular area, but it sounds very detailed and for a place to get good training in these type of skills that would be a real good choice. Low visibility, dark and enclosed. Mike still needs to complete the pump out of the piping, but if you wanted to do cave, wreck penetration with a real overhead environment, or even public safety diving drills, or commercial diving excersises this would be a real sweet set up.

Hmmm, should be interesting. One point on the training. Don't most agencies require 30 foot vis or better and multiple sites? Or were you talking more about non-class training?

Any word on what certs are required to dive it?

Hmmm, should be interesting. One point on the training. Don't most agencies require 30 foot vis or better and multiple sites? Or were you talking more about non-class training?

Any word on what certs are required to dive it?
There is no way you could teach a cave class in something like that. You are correct on the reqs not to mention I do not know any cave instructor that would even come close to allowing training in something such as this (would not even come close to preparing you for a cave where you have to deal with flow, significantly more penetration and navigation issues etc...) I assume that its more for skill practice, very basic overhead training and fun - basically non-class training.

The access to the cave system is only going to be allowed with cave cert. or with a cave instructor.

Some areas are a little more packed with stuff than others. But we are working to add more wrecks to the areas that are a little sparse. There are some places with lines and I added a few more yesterday from "Sea Toy" to "New Song" wrecks to the Jungle Gym. Also up front between the Sub, C-130, F-5 and a few other things.

This might only me but I like to take a compass heading and see what I run into. It the middle of the lake there are all kind of things that you will never see if you just dive the bouys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom