Man brings coral and reef fish into home!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

J322Y

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
10,000 gallon aquarium!

His facebook page

Reef2-965x543.jpg

Last edited:
wow.....

If I had enough money to do that, I wouldn't do that. I would just take a lot more dive trips to see it in the wild.

Sadly this may be the only way to see a reef in the not so far future...

Was the corals in this setup NOT grown in captivity??

@CuzzA knows a lot about this stuff. Maybe he can comment.

There's so much aquacultured and maricultured today there's really no need to take from the ocean. The majority of fish from this tank are definitely wild caught though. The fact they are spawning speaks a lot to the guys husbandry and system. Assuming he doesn't have a failure those fish could live full lives without fear of predation and the coral will no doubt be spread to countless other tanks through fragging.

But, all it takes is a busted pipe and everything dies. Like what happened to this 20k gallon tank. Tank Crisis: Putting Things Into Perspective With Bill Wann - Reefs.com

Or this tragedy. Coral Tank from Canada (1350gal Display Tank) - Reef Central Online Community

Peter's Fish Tank

Last edited:
I used to keep reef aquariums, then I started diving and decided it was much easier (and cheaper!) to simply visit the marine life than to keep it in my house. It's a great hobby for anyone who has a real interest in technical things and a huge amount of disposable income. Oh yeah, and doesn't like to travel....all it takes is one power outage or big leak while you're not around and you have an environmental disaster in your living room.

I was building custom filtration and supplementation equipment for a few years and selling to most of the reef shops in town. It was fun, and we had a good budding group of coral fraggers around. Most fish are still taken from the wild, though.

If I were going to do it again, I think I would do a coral/clam only tank.

I agree about the risks and maintenance issues, however I'll bet he has a backup generator and staff to watch his house if he chooses to travel. Otherwise, he's doing it wrong...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom