Man I feel like a 100% wimp.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

6474286:
Definately the correct call!

Don't feel like a wimp!

Basically, if you don't feel like diving; then don't! If you are not comfortable, happy or just not in the mood, then why dive?

By diving when you are not 100% comfortable; for any reason, you put yourself and those around you in danger!

Diving is meant to be fun!

thats what was saying over and over to my self ..
is should be fun ....
so i do think i made the correct call now. :)

Soggy:
As far as I'm concerned, and speaking from a GUE and technical diving perspective, closed fist means "Hold." It is a critical hand signal that is returned with the same signal, so you are clear that it is understood. This is probably the 3rd most important signal right after the throat slashing/OOA signal, and thumbs up.

There is no difference between 1 thumb up or 2 thumbs up. They means the same thing....dive is over.

Don't make this stuff more complicated than it needs to be.

i knew i wasn't mistaken!

http://www.oxforddivecentre.com/signals/signals.html

:)

Gabriel90512:
Man I feel like a 100% wimp.
I was going to do a 2 tank dive on Sunday.
the dive program I went with was going to dive back beach but the DM said there was not parking
and folly cover looked packed @ 3pm (we were going to do 2 late dives)
so the DM picked this spot between folly cove and Back beach ....
you walk down this little path and you are on some big rocks.

sooooooooo it was like 90" out I got all my stuff one and started the 45 yard hike down to the water .... the tide was out so the rocks were
100% covered with sea weed.
I fell 3x hard not a little stumble but a total feet in the air kind of fall .... I was so hot and so pissed that I called off the dive and went home.....

the entire day I felt like a wimp for not pushing my self ...... the main problem was I was sooooooooo hot ...
do you all have any tricks to keep cool ?

Scuba Gabe

This sounds like Cathedral Rocks. I've seen the entry area, but never tried to dive it (mainly because I was warned of how difficult it is to enter and exit). You made the right call. We dove Folly Cove on Sunday, and most of us fell also, just enough surge to make climbing over the rocks a real challenge. I love the dive, but hate the entry/exit. Falling at Cathedral Rocks could be much worse than a slip and fall at Folly.

MASS-Diver:
Agreed, as has been repeated throughout this thread - it's always a very good idea to go over signals before you dive with someone new.

Actually it's a good idea to go through hand signals before every dive as part of the pre dive check...unless you dive with the same person all the time.

You'll find anyone who's taken any sort of overhead training knows the 'hold' signal. It's not that important a command in open water is it is when you are down in a rusty pile of metal and your buddy notices monofilament around your foot...

There are 3 command signals. The 3 command signals must be responded with the like signal. Those are 1) the Ok sign. 2) The hold sign [as discussed, a closed fist, pointing towards buddy], 3) the 'thumb', thumbs up to terminate the dive.

With a hold: Your buddy tells you to hold, you respond with the hold, and then you hold until your buddy comes back and gives you the ok... which you return.

Now I've actually had a situation where I had a buddy return an ok with an ok... when he was -not- ok. If you are having a problem, and your buddy gives you the ok sign.. that is the sign that they are currently paying attention to you and you can try to signal a problem that needs to be resolved. "You ok?"... "No.. I can't get this damn light on"... "click"... "Ok now?" "yea, ok".

This stuff also helps with clarity of other signals. There is the 'query' signal, which is a closed fist with the index finger up in a hook. it means what is coming is a question. It looks a little like an 'ok', it looks a little like a 'hold'. So if they respond to 'query' with 'ok' or 'hold', then you know that they don't know the next signal is a question.

Which can get ugly if you want to check with your buddy to see if they want to turn around or not. "Query" "Turn around?" is definately different then "Turn Around!".

But the basic gist is you and your buddies definately need to be on the same page with the important signals before a dive. Ok, hold, abort, turn, exit, ooa, query, entangled, silt, bubbles, etc...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom