Mandatory tracking device for divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m posting because I can. So I’m being admonished for staying on topic?
Ok I’m a bad man. Don’t think I haven’t learned anything from this thread because I certainly have.

I already agreed that it could be useful for some diving did you miss that or are you ignoring that also?

---------- Post added September 3rd, 2015 at 01:19 PM ----------

Just in case you missed and didn't ignore it.

Sorry, I apologize, I shouldn't have snapped at you, it has been a hard month.

I just meant that you seemed to only want to stick with an initial impression of the OP's post, rather than the larger discussion. Staying on topic is a relative thing - as I always say, this isn't a deposition. My feeling was that discussing the utility of a transponder WAS on topic, even if it wasn't a precise reply to the OP. And in fairness, if you look at his post, it was as much about the feasibility of the device as it was about mandated practices.

But no excuse for me being rude.

I have not heard of a sonar transponder that can be carried by a diver so that a rescue party could activate it and determine the distressed, or dead, divers position. It wouldn't have to be very sophisticated, and since it would wait for activation it would not run out of juice before someone came looking.
Actually, Navimate, if/when they ever get the production version working, is beginning to sound pretty competitive now that I looked at the price tags on the receivers for those coded sonar pingers. It has a huge advantage of letting my buddy close in on me right after she notices we got separated. So if I'm unconscious, there's a chance she'll find me and get me topside while I'm still not completely brain-dead. Anything that takes more than 5 minutes from cardiac arrest to CPR is "don't bother" as far as I'm concerned.

Perhaps it should be mandatory that we all write a "do not recover" text and send it to our relatives, lawyers, blogs and social media pages.

Sorry, I apologize, I shouldn't have snapped at you, it has been a hard month.

I just meant that you seemed to only want to stick with an initial impression of the OP's post, rather than the larger discussion. Staying on topic is a relative thing - as I always say, this isn't a deposition. My feeling was that discussing the utility of a transponder WAS on topic, even if it wasn't a precise reply to the OP. And in fairness, if you look at his post, it was as much about the feasibility of the device as it was about mandated practices.

But no excuse for me being rude.

No problem Doc, I'm a big boy and can take. Apology not necessary but accepted. Both are on topic as I see it. I just don't like the mandatory part of the idea. I watched diving come a long way since 1968 and most of it I've embraced and welcomed but to expect anyone but dive operators to set rules like that is an unwanted and unwarranted intrusion into my life. I also posted that if an op wanted to mandate something like that on their boats and are willing provide it I would use it happily. What the heck ya can't lose it!

I never once posted that you wanted any part of mandatory anything, but please don't give people ideas why it maybe a good idea!

---------- Post added September 3rd, 2015 at 02:22 PM ----------

Perhaps it should be mandatory that we all write a "do not recover" text and send it to our relatives, lawyers, blogs and social media pages.

Did that years ago. I even have that statement on the dive plan I leave in my car when I solo dive.

I would not want anybody to risk life or limb for recovery of me but if it can be done easily and safely, why not? Gives some closure to the loved ones. Just with a like a rescue.

I would not want anybody to risk life or limb for recovery of me but if it can be done easily and safely, why not? Gives some closure to the loved ones. Just with a like a rescue.

Key words and good point.

At this juncture it does not appear the technology is feasible and if it is as easy as sticking it inside your wet or dry suit where it wont get ditched in an effort to save yourself. It could be an idea - attach it to something that will get ditched is a bad design - say to the tank band or BCD for example - you may need to ditch and CESA... KISS would be better and inside your suit... until then I will watch and see what comes up. :D

I also posted that if an op wanted to mandate something like that on their boats and are willing provide it I would use it happily. What the heck ya can't lose it!

Just so you know, it is possible to lose it. I'm still searching for 6 that got misplaced in the building where I work. Not only they are in air, they got misplaced before installing the 9V battery needed for them to broadcast their acoustic signature, not that it carries in air very far but depending on the individual it can be heard.

Just so you know, it is possible to lose it. I'm still searching for 6 that got misplaced in the building where I work. Not only they are in air, they got misplaced before installing the 9V battery needed for them to broadcast their acoustic signature, not that it carries in air very far but depending on the individual it can be heard.

Well that's funny! One would hope those that an op are providing have batteries in them! But ya never know!?! :wink: Hope you find them!

Well that's funny! One would hope the ones that a op would provide have batteries in them! But ya never know!?! :wink: Hope you find them!
On a more serious note, though, you'd want to check if it's working before you splash, and that means having the receiver with you.

On a more serious note, though, you'd want to check if it's working before you splash, and that means having the receiver with you.

You are correct and I do test them before deployment, just like the rest of the systems on the UUV.

But just so you know they are very difficult to damage, and the receiver is not a very sophisticated device. It is just a glorified hydrophone tuned for certain frequency range. The same equipment used to locate these pingers, works to locate the black box of a commercial airplane, or you can listen to snapping shrimp if nothing is lost.

The price of the pinger itself (100+ to 700+) is directly proportional to how long stays alive 90 days, or 48 months? steady or intermittent? and also how far away can you hear it (freq. range) 1km or 5?

Also before you guys star throwing all that in the water to locate your future dead corpse, get closure for the family and yadah yadah; remember there are creatures down there that won't appreciate all that cacophony going on.

I wouldn't wear one under any circumstances, and would make a point to avoid not only the charter using it but the location all together.

No worries it'll never happen. I can barely afford to shore dive here in RI, never mind charter anywhere. I may never see NC again. :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom