Manta Rays of Byron Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AussieByron

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Over the past week or so I have had the chance to dive with a few Manta Rays at Julian Rocks, Byron Bay. Early in the week I had some really Large Mantas with large schools of Cobia following. Unfortunately these Large Manta's did hang around very long fo me to get a few decent shots.
Today was totally different. As soon as I got into the water I spotted a small Manta right under the boat and proceded to follow it down towards the Cod Hole, but lost sight shortly after. We decided to try down towards "The Needles" as there has been a few Leopard Sharks, a large female GNS and also Manta's.

The small Manta again came pass just as we where coming into the Needles and I couldn't get into position to get a shot. Here we go, spotted a Manta twice and still not a shot of it. It then moved off back towards the Nursery.

We continued along until I spotted the white flashing of the Manta's underbelly some distance away. The vis was excellent and easy to spot animals in the distance. It was hovering right above the "moe Hole" and was getting cleaned by cleaner wrasse. We approached carefully as I wanted to get really close with my Tokina 10-17mm set on 10mm and get some good shots without scaring it off.

Some 40 minutes later we are still with the Manta at the same spot and it simply wanted its photo taken and enjoy our company. My dive buddy was running low on air and it was time to leave. We did our safety stop right above the Manta and it just stayed it the same spot wanting us to come back down and play some more. 280 shots and a couple of minutes of Video was the result for this dive.

Here are some of those shots:

3370344340_692169db84.jpg

3369522085_74b5347326.jpg

3369522371_701324c1ae.jpg

3369522759_4b0873d520.jpg

3369522699_7750db3929.jpg

3369522615_3344ea965e.jpg

"What Manta?"

Wow, those pictures don't even look real! We saw bat rays and skates, but no mantas when I was there. Julian Rocks diving is marvellous, isn't it?

Just fantastic shots!!!

AussieByron, I read on another post that you have been on the Spirit of Freedom several times. Our local dive shop is considering booking a trip with them and has offered two months Feb and July. From your posts, you obviously find the boat to be excellent. What I was wondering is which month would be better? Also, what do you think is the best month in the year to go? I had one person say that October was the best month for weather and viz. We are going on their 7-day trip to Osprey Reef, Ribbon Reefs, and Cod Hole. If you would rather send me an answer via email, my address is jamescrew6@verizon.net,

Thanks,

Bill

Back
Top Bottom